Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hand Plane video on you tube

A peaceful solution!

Friends, friends, friends,

I have a civil way of answering these questions. I have a halfway decent Stanley #4 with original blade. Please send me the appropriate replacement blade and chip breakers from Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, Hock, and IBC, and I would be happy to review them - for FREE!.

Brian the Tightwad
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-27-2010 at 2:49 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post

I have a civil way of answering these questions. I have a halfway decent Stanley #4 with original blade. Please send me the appropriate replacement blade and chip breakers from Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, Hock, and IBC, and I would be happy to review them.

Brian the Tightwad
    Oh excellent idea and since I have an equivalent Millers Falls No. 9 maybe they could send me blades to make sure they work in the Millers Falls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post

I have a civil way of answering these questions. I have a halfway decent Stanley #4 with original blade. Please send me the appropriate replacement blade and chip breakers from Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, Hock, and IBC, and I would be happy to review them - for FREE!.

Brian the Tightwad
    I will see Brian's excellent suggestion and up him one.

I have Stanley/Bailey planes that will fit the three IBC sizes offered. I can also make videos and post them on YouTube. I already have Stanley and Hock HC blades for the three sizes involved.

So, we can try blades and chip breakers out of the box, with video.

We may also be able to find a few folks here on SMC that live in proximity of each other who would want to take on this effort. Sounds like a good reason for a BBQ.

Let the shavings begin,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

I have Stanley/Bailey planes that will fit the three IBC sizes offered. I can also make videos and post them on YouTube. I already have Stanley and Hock HC blades for the three sizes involved.

We may also be able to find a few folks here on SMC that live in proximity of each other who would want to take on this effort. Sounds like a good reason for a BBQ.

Let the shavings begin,

jim
    Sounds like a great idea, I'm in. Now I just have to convince my wife that the only logical place to go for vacation this year is somplace close to your house.

Let the shavings begin,

jim
    Rob Cosman,
    Given that Jim Koepke has a track record of providing detailed "how to" posts and assessments in reburbishing/upgrading older/classic planes, I hope that you accept his offer to review your product and post his assessments/videos here.

If others agree, please second the nomination (before Jim has a chance to give the matter second thoughts and back out.... smiley)

thanks

michael

Rob - save a few small line bad ones means if you go out and find an iron with a name you never heard of before, you might find that it isn't the quality of the big makers.

I have used multiple irons from LN, LV, Hock, and IBC - they are obviously not in the small-line group.

Of the larger makers, Ididn't find any practical difference once they were two grinds past new. If I would've had the stamina to take a sample of mean time to failure, I may not even find a statistically significant difference between any of them. Some were more prone to chipout before two grinds, but it's an iron by iron issue and not a brand issue - the same thing exists within a brand.

Anyway, the comment about watching out for some small-line meaning that people have commented several times on here that their shepherd A2 iron was bum, and Brent Beach went on to confirm that in testing. That's something I found disappointing because I have one sitting in a box waiting to go in a plane that no other Iron I have will fit. I'll probably have to make one out of O1, which will mean tedious cutting, marking, drilling and filing.

Anyway, I've also used multiple irons from Steve Knight, and his irons are also excellent, but they are an entirely different animal, and they are O1. Mujingfang's are also great - the most durable I have tried, but they are HSS of some sort and they don't fit bench planes.

Every single japanese iron I have tried, budget or not, has been excellent - stunningly excellent.

In the interest of full disclosure, I received the IBC irons for free quite a long while ago in return for my thoughts on them. That's where my previous opinion came from - they are very nicely prepared irons with some thoughtful extras that in use have similar durability to the other main-line irons I have. It's hardly bad company to be in.

I guess I could be accused of bias if someone wanted to push the issue, but I don't know what bias shows up by saying "they're all the same".
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-27-2010 at 7:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    For what it's worth, and that's probably not much, I just don't like the pseudo-advertising going on here.

I don't like when Rob Cosmen says "I've tried other blades and didn't like them, but this one - the one I'm selling - is much different." I just don't believe it. To me, it's not plausible that Rob saw no difference in results when using, say, a Hock or Lie-Nielsen replacement blade, but now sees a marked different in using the one he sells. I think it's implausible based on my own experience and it strains belief considering the commercial context in which the statement is made.

In the same way, I didn't like when, in the other thread, Rob said "I don't really like any of the marking knives on the market, but soon I'll be selling my own." Come on. You don't like ANY of the blades on the market? And it's just coincidental that you're saying this in the context of announcing your own product?

Rob is a well-known expert and deserves to be respected as such. And for that matter, I wish him all the best in his business endeavors, realizing that if Rob can be successful selling hand tools it means the hand tool market is healthy. But at Sawmill Creek I've come to expect experts to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I just have the very uncomfortable feeling that Rob is allowing the salesman in him to overshadow the expert. I do not get the same feeling when Rob Lee is talking about tools.

Anyway, that's my take on the discussion.
    +1 - for me anyway. The $ is too close to what a LV costs ready to go - with a better plane body.

Phil M

Blog Entries
    It is not my intention to receive a "free" blade for consideration. My wife is not likely to let me pony up for a bunch of blades or even one without my having a good reason to justify the expenditure.

She would likely not mind if I paid postage both ways to evaluate and return a blade. I guess the other option would be to buy and return the blade for a refund. I do not feel right about doing this kind of business. I only feel right about returning a product that I find to be less than what I thought I was buying. I do not expect to find your product defective or lacking.

To turn it in to a single video, I would likely also have to spring $30 for some video editing software, but that wouldn't be too hard to talk her into allowing me to purchase.

In this case, I would only be able to do comparisons with Stanley and Hock high carbon blades as those are all that I own. I do have a plane with an LN A1 blade, but that is not a real comparison since it is a different plane than the others.

jim
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-09-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

[QUOTE=

As for the comment about Rob Lee talking about his tools on this thread and you dont call that advertising? Must be a public service announcement.

Cheers
    Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob C. - You don't seem to be getting the point. It's all about the delivery. In my opinion, it sounds like you have the cure for everyone's problems. Rob never puts other products down that I am aware of. His products stand on their own.

In one of your last posts, you indicate that WC buys the video from you and includes it with the iron - that has to cost money - it seems as though offering the product without the video would create an easier sell - although you would not make any $ from it.

Good luck.

Phil

It is not my intention to receive a "free" blade for consideration. My wife is not likely to let me pony up for a bunch of blades or even one without my having a good reason to justify the expenditure.

She would likely not mind if I paid postage both ways to evaluate and return a blade. I guess the other option would be to buy and return the blade for a refund. I do not feel right about doing this kind of business. I only feel right about returning a product that I find to be less than what I thought I was buying. I do not expect to find your product defective or lacking.

To turn it in to a single video, I would likely also have to spring $30 for some video editing software, but that wouldn't be too hard to talk her into allowing me to purchase.

In this case, I would only be able to do comparisons with Stanley and Hock high carbon blades as those are all that I own. I do have a plane with an LN A1 blade, but that is not a real comparison since it is a different plane than the others.

jim
    Since RC isn't interested in sending out tester blades (even though many in the industry do send out test tools when they first arrive on the market), and Jim has graciously offered to review, I will chip in $20 for Jim to buy a blade and breaker and review it (and keep it as an offering for providing the review). Anyone else interested, can we get it to $100 so he can get a setup to review?

I figure Jim has offered way more than 20 beans worth of free advice, and I haven't gotten through anywhere near all of his how to threads.

Jim what do you think?

Rob, the tightwad (not Rob, the potentially snake oil, salesman )

I'll chip in $10 towards the Jim K review fund. I'd also be willing to do any editing you need, Jim (though you shouldn't need me. You have a Mac, right? iMove HD to the rescue!)

Quote Originally Posted by rob cosman View Post
    Hi Josh, if you compare products, IBC is offering a cryo treated A-2 blade and O-1 breaker. The Hock equivalent blade is $49 and the breaker (don’t think it is O-1) is $30, total on the 2 3/8" is $79 vs $105. So what else do you get for $26? There is the DVD and if you are up to snuff on tuning, sharpening, grinding and planing then you may not need it. Just before you toss it out consider this. I travel and teach this stuff each weekend somewhere in the US, Canada or England. In the last two months I have been in Tennessee (twice), Wisconsin, California, Michigan, England and South Carolina. Without exception everywhere I go I get the same response from the novice to the professional, "I thought I knew how to sharpen"! Don’t take this as boasting, I don’t fly this many miles to feed my ego, I'm on a mission.

Teach traditional woodworking and revive the craft.

I very rarely find someone that can sharpen a chisel or plane blade properly. Maybe you’re the one and none of this applies, if so that would make you the 2nd out of the 2400 I have witnessed firsthand in workshops I have taught around the woodworking world. I have demonstrated to tens of thousands but of the folks that have come to my workshops with their tools in hand I am telling you what I have witnessed. I have David Charlesworth to back me on this, his comment to me a few years ago was that since 1975 he has only had two students show up at his workshops with properly sharpened tools.

Back to the tools;

The IBC breaker is mid range hardened (30-32) O-1 with tabs that will allow you to put a .140 blade instead of a .093 in that old plane. The two pcs have been match ground, and fit perfectly to one and other so you don’t not have anything to do except hone the edge and apply the Charlesworth ruler trick to the back, total time-about 40 seconds, a minute if your new.

NO ONE

sends you a blade and breaker in this state of readiness. Set the IBC beside any competitor and you can see the difference. You have to decide if that is worth an extra $26, forget the DVD. All of this with a guarantee that if you’re not convinced you have 90 days to return it and get your $105 back so you can go buy the other guys. Personally I would test drive the Ferrari first!
    Cheers
    Rob
    The bally, the pitch, the turn and this is noncommercial? Billy Mays must be laughing somewhere tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fisher View Post
    Since RC isn't interested in sending out tester blades (even though many in the industry do send out test tools when they first arrive on the market), and Jim has graciously offered to review, I will chip in $20 for Jim to buy a blade and breaker and review it (and keep it as an offering for providing the review). Anyone else interested, can we get it to $100 so he can get a setup to review?

I figure Jim has offered way more than 20 beans worth of free advice, and I haven't gotten through anywhere near all of his how to threads.

Jim what do you think?

Rob, the tightwad (not Rob, the potentially snake oil, salesman )
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    I'll chip in $10 towards the Jim K review fund. I'd also be willing to do any editing you need, Jim (though you shouldn't need me. You have a Mac, right? iMove HD to the rescue!)
    Rob,

I feel honored.

Matt,

I was thinking of using QuickTime Pro to splice a few videos together. I think it would work for that. Otherwise maybe I could send you the videos to edit.

As to others paying for the blade, I think the fair thing to do after the evaluation would be to figure out a contest for one of the contributors to win the blade or to put it into the SMC FreeStuff Drawings. Maybe we could have a Neanderthal Haven Essay of so many words or less as to why the writer should receive the blade and then set up a vote for the winner. It could be a lot of fun.

I think it should be up to those who contribute to decide.

Looks like there is $30 pledged, I can pay the shipping from WC and to the eventual winner of the contest/drawing. Heck, if it gets close, maybe I can convince the wife to let me throw in a few more bucks.

jim

Rigiht on Phil

How right you are Phil but try thinking of it this way. The target market is the guy that does not currently use a plane (I hear an echo). If he buys the blade and breaker without the knowledge on what to do, how to sharpen and how to plane, what happens? Let me tell you, it gets returned or goes on the shelf and gets added to the reason he bought that sander. Please tell me what you fear? Your concerns are not rational. Anyone can return all the items if they chose to. They can watch the DVD, hone the iron, try it in their plane and if they still think buying a cheaper set up would be better they return it for a full refund.

I think I get it, it is your hobby but my profession. Somehow me making money off what you do for fun is wrong. Let me tell you what you have to do, put in 10,000 hours at whatever part of woodworking you like best, get better than most, quit your job and go for it. Oh don’t forget you have to raise your family at the same time, keep food on the table, pay the bills and in about 10 years you should be able to sustain yourself. Did I hit a nerve?
    cheers
    Rob Cosman
    robcosman.com

Thumbs up Dinner is on me

Way to go Jim, dinner is on me this fall when I get to Longview.
    cheers,
    Rob Cosman,
    snake oil salesman.......................................... .of the year
    (father always said "be the best")