Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new drill and driver... ah the choices

Time for new drill and driver... ah the choices

The old Hitachi 18 and 14.4 drills are on their last legs. Well, not the drills, but the batteries and we all know they charge (pun not intended) so much for replacement batteries, you might as well just buy a new set. Especially with the new lithium ion units out there

I see Makita, I see Bosch, I see Dewalt and I am just overwhelmed with the choices out there. I'd like to have a drill and a driver - I would use both plenty. Can anyone recommend a good set? For a home hobby guy, is 12 volts enough or 18 too much?

I have the Bosch 12Volt drill and separate driver. They are both great little tools that work really well for my purposes - cabinet and furniture making.

IMHO, get the DeWalt XRP. I had one that lasted for 10 years, the drive train was all metal, the thing was as solid as a hammer, it came with a jacobs chuck, 3 speed tranny which allowed my 12volt to drive 6" lag screws all day long (I'm sure it would have removed lug nuts if I tried). I recently replaced it, when the batteries died, with a Milwaukee M18 -- worst thing I ever did. Granted, I do more than drill holes with it. I wouldn't even think of using the M18 with a large holesaw for fear that it'd burn up.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Dan, unless you have your heart set on a shinny new lithium ion you should consider having your batteries rebuilt. I just had 2 DeWalt & 2 PC batteries rebuilt by MTO with upgraded cells for $150 delivered. The two drills perform better than new.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For me, the DeWalt would be choice #1. BUT, (and save your flames) I have the Crapsman 19.2 set. Mainly that's b/c the LOML bought that for me. Once down that road, I've continued down that lonely road. The main and only reason I would reccomend that you buy it, it you can get a LOT of different tools/accessories that use the same battery. The recip saw is very handy, you can get lights, vacuum, even a chainsaw. (Probably not a good chainsaw). It did better than I would expect in the latest cordless drill shootout. (not last) This is also assuming that not going to dive into pro level drill/driving. For the home hobbiest, I think it suits me just fine. The DeWalt would be nice, but some nice overkill.

Just another option to think about.

Oh yeah, you always know where you can get another battery. With K-mart, lots of places to get a battery.

We have two of the Bosch drill-drivers, and they are awesome - small and lightweight, so they fit my hand well, but they sure do pack a punch and get the job done.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

7. I am in the remodeling business and have been using Makita LXT cordless tools for the past three years and have been, for the most part, happy with them.

I am also going to be in the market for a new drill soon, but will be making the switch to Festool. Yes, their drills are very expensive, but I've really liked the other Festool tools I've bought so I thought I'd try one of their drills.

I have the Makita 14.4 drillanddriver combo. I love it. Ifit ever goes bad, I willgo with Makita probably in a 18v. The 14.4v has done everything I have asked but you can never havetoomuch power.

Drill/Impact Driver Recommendations

I bought this Makita combo about 2 years ago and I was very satisfied.

Makita LCT 300W -$262.

I was able to drive more than 200 1.5" screws with one charge. Batteries recharge in 15 minutes.

I upgraded to another makita set with the 3.0 Amp hour batteries because I got it on sale, but it is significantly heavier.

I bought the Milwaukee Li ion combo for my father for Christmas. It has worked well so far.

Milwaukee combo -$199

MK

I have used Dewalt since 92 and some of those drills are still going strong I installed Revco and CVS drugstores for a living back then and had 6 12 volt dewalts 4 still work and the other 2 need a new switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Frederiksen View Post
    .....I am also going to be in the market for a new drill soon, but will be making the switch to Festool. Yes, their drills are very expensive, but I've really liked the other Festool tools I've bought so I thought I'd try one of their drills.
    I used to think that too, until I tried one, then I bought two. I've got the a couple of the T25+3 drills, small, light and very powerful for their size. The batteries hold their charge for ever while sitting idle (and during use too). The price of admission isn't cheap but there isn't anything to match their versatility.

I wrote a review of them, check it out on my site: http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage86.html

I have a crapsman 19.2 set and a dewalt XRP set. The crapsman is older and sees more use, to be honest I am not sure why. I bought the dewalt set because it had a cordless hammer drill that I had needed multiple time. Now I rarly use it anymore. To be totally honest the dewalt is better but not times as good. I think the crapsman set is a good buy for $100. I know a couple of electrician crews that only buy crapsman because they say that the crapsman have just as long of a life as anything else. Nothing lasts very long after falling off a latter once a day.

I had 1 of the batteries for my crapsman rebuilt by voltman and it is better than new, it lasts about 50% longer than the dewalt now. So my advice is if the tools are in good condition have the batteries rebuilt. It will run you close to $100 but they will be better than new batteries of any make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Dan, unless you have your heart set on a shinny new lithium ion you should consider having your batteries rebuilt. I just had 2 DeWalt & 2 PC batteries rebuilt by MTO with upgraded cells for $150 delivered. The two drills perform better than new.
    +1 I had MTO do one of my Festool batteries and they are better then new. I plan to send them the other one. Clifford

I like my Milwaukee M18 stuff. And its part of a huge system of available tools that use the same batteries.

After reading about 100 threads on this topic, my conclusion is that it's much harder to pick a BAD drill/driver than a good one.

Use one that fits your hand, and your budget well, go for Lithium Ion batteries, and get something in the 14.4 to 18v range, and I bet you'll be happy.

My personal fave is the Makita compact set.