Thread: Candle Holder

Candle Holder

My version of the candle holder project. Thanks Patrick for the basic dimensions

I just used some maple and walnut I had on hand, maybe next one I use some more figured wood! (sold this one to one of the girls at work, and two others want one now!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lee,
    I have looked back for prior conversation about the dimensions etc... but cannot seem to locate them. Can you share the dimensions with us? Also, what finish did you use, and what joinery on the support legs?

Looks great! I love the clean lines of this design.

Irv

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin Cooper View Post
    Lee,
    I have looked back for prior conversation about the dimensions etc... but cannot seem to locate them. Can you share the dimensions with us? Also, what finish did you use, and what joinery on the support legs?

Looks great! I love the clean lines of this design.

Irv
    Sure .... it was a design from WoodSmith that Patrick did a bit ago. These are a bit smaller than the original design.

Mine is about 4" wide x 18" long x 1.5" thick. I made the legs about 1.5" x 1.5" x 3" tall. I cut the 'dado' into the sides, then cut the 10 degree bevel on the body. The legs are just blocks that slide into the body with just glue.

The 10 degree bevel is also cut on the top of the legs. Had to buy a 2" forstner bit to fit the candles I found at Big Lots (24 ea for $6)

I just used boiled linseed oil, sanded down to 400 grit, then a quick coat of shellac.

It was pretty simple and not terribly difficult. I will sand it down all the way before I drill the holes and install the legs next time!

It may be simple, but it is very elegant. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Looks beautiful Lee! I've planned to make a few of the same woods for Christmas presents this year. This would be the 'good' Christmas presents - the hoi polloi will get cutting boards!

Glad to see how well it turned out. What did you get for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Nailon View Post
    Looks beautiful Lee! I've planned to make a few of the same woods for Christmas presents this year. This would be the 'good' Christmas presents - the hoi polloi will get cutting boards!

Glad to see how well it turned out. What did you get for it?
    she gave me $25 ... that seems to be my going rate for Kim, I sold her some cutting boards for the same. The wood was left overs I got from one of my local cabinet shops, and I paid $20 for the forstner bit, $5 for 12 glass votives candles.