Thread: Mahogany Storm Door

Mahogany Storm Door

I'm just about ready to hang the mahogany storm door I started last year. The weather put a spanner in the works and I was unable to finish in time before it set in last year. I have one more coat of marine spar varnish to brush before it gets hung.

This was an interesting project in that I couldn't find anything like it to work from in wood so I had to design some of the features myself. The door is the outer most door at the entrance to the house, it opens on to the mud room. Then there is the main entrance door and that also has a screen door. The storm door needed to work in winter and summer, providing a barrier to the snow and ice and at the same time allow the summer breezes to flow through the house without letting in the bugs.

To achieve this I've used a window which opens vertically, a fixed grill and an insect screen. It will also have a semi-commercial grade door closer, three S/S ball bearing hinges and a lock-set with handle. It's been lightly stained and will be finished with 5 coats of high quality marine spar varnish with UV. The joints are mortise and tenon done on the Minimax mortiser, the smaller parts like the screen and the window were done with the Domino. Thanks for looking.

Wayne.

Front view with attached screen

Back view

Four coats of varnish, one to go.

Window and screen.

Wow!
    You are going to be the envy of the neighborhood.

Congrats on a fine build.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

That is a great looking and solid door!

Thanks Mike and Baxter, should have it hung tomorrow.

Gorgeous Wayne. Love that finish. Would like to see a picture of it hung when ya get it done.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Wayne,the spar varnish,is that a clear coat.I have just built(my first attempt) some doors for an outside cabinet also out of mahogany. Do I apply any brand of stain and then the varnish? Do you apply varnish with a brush?

Door

Wow!! That's a very nice door!!! I like the proporations too.

Great job!!!!

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll definately post a pick when hung.

Hi Ivan,

I used Pettit Marine Spar varnish with UV, its a very high quality marine varnish, not cheap but effective. I brushed it on thinned with a little varsol, just enough so it was easy to brush and then applied the varnish. Do not sand after appling the stain. I sanded lightly between the coats (5 coats) of varnish with 320grit paper, allowing each coat to dry for few days.

Any good quality exterior oil stain should be okay, I used Minwax. Just brush on and wipe off.

The whole process goes much smoother if you set up the doors so they can be easily turned during the finishing process, take a look at the above pic.

Best Regards,
    Wayne