Thread: If Grizzly made this I would buy it

If Grizzly made this I would buy it

I wish someone would make a decent quality 8" jointer with a 60" bed. I would very much like to have an 8" jointer but I don't have the room for something with a 6' bed. I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem.

Regards,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I wish someone would make a decent quality 8" jointer with a 60" bed. I would very much like to have an 8" jointer but I don't have the room for something with a 6' bed. I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem.

Regards,

Ron
    I found the 6' bed too short and extended it! The bed only is tiny part of the space needed to used a jointer--it's the working space needed around it and it's depth which eats up shop space.

Maybe the .66 square feet you are concerned losing in your shop could be found by other methods. Like some machines on rollers. Or my shop, which is quite small, nests about 5 machines in a cluster in which the "working space" is shared.

-Steve

+1 for Steve

You'll appreciate the long bed if you ever need to joint 6' long 10/4 maple. Your back will appreciate the long bed even more.

The length of the material you'll be using is more relevant than the length of your jointer; for instance, if you're working with a six-foot board then you'll need six feet of room on both the infeed and outfeed sides of the cutterhead, no matter how short or long your jointer's tables, but longer tables make the work go easier.

Grizzly's G0706, 12" jointer has a 60" bed. Ramp it up and get even MORE than you bargained for; a wide jointer with a very short bed. IMO the 12 inches or so, you would save with a 60" bed is inconsequential. And, you will pay Big Bucks to reclaim that square foot!

For years, I suffered with a little Delta/Milwaukee 6" jointer with 32" bed. When I stepped up to a Rockwell 6" with 48" bed I was in Hawg Heaven! Now, my Delta DJ20, 8" is light years ahead, with it's 76" table length! I won't be going back!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Powermatic made a very nice 8" jointer with a 60" bed, the model 60. I had one for years. I upgraded to a 12" machine to get an 84" bed.

First ya order a 12" Jointer.. Even though it has 96" long beds..

Then ya git yurself a cutting torch and measure 30" from each side of the cutterhead..

(Some light sanding might be reqiured) .

Grizzly used to offer the G1018 (IIRC)...an 8" jointer with 65" bed and 1-1/2hp motor. Sunhill had a similar model.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    How about a trip to NM for some old arn?

http://santafe.craigslist.org/tls/1696947360.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I can appreciate Ron's dilemma. I park my Jet 6" jointer (48" bed) to the left of my table saw. In that position the top sits slightly lower than the table saw top. The short bed means I don't give myself a charlie horse when walking around the saw. Unfortunately my shop size/layout won't allow me to position the jointer anywhere else. I have lusted after a larger jointer for years and would now like one of the 12" Jointer/planer combo's. Wider jointers are too long for my shop and combo's are too high for my saw.