Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping crown

Coping crown

Attached are images of crown I made and installed in my home. Coping was SO MISERABLE! I have another room with all inside corners. Before I decide to scrap coping all together, I thought I would seek advise here. The problem I have are the sections of the crown parallel to the ceiling. It seems like coping just cannot be done in this case.

Thanks,
    Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am doing this project now with painted pine in my mudroom. I think yours looks quite good. Besides being a PITA, what's the problem.

Can't tell from the pictures, but did you cut a 45 on the coped piece first? Here's a video of how it supposed to be done.

http://www.watchdoit.com/how-to-vide...gles-2905.aspx

I'd say that looks good as well. Perfectly acceptable for stain grade work in the trim carpentry trade. We usually use a Makita jig saw with a Collins coping foot, which makes working in hardwood a lot easier.

It just looks to me like your pieces are cut a little short. If they were longer, and tighter, the coping would look pretty good.

Either that are they're hitting in the back which is keeping the joint slightly open.

Dave,

Maybe we should make the hour drive to watch each other be tortured.

Ron,
    I did it the way shown in the video. The coped piece into butt cutt piece.

Ray,
    I am considering getting the coping foot. I have been watching the Gary Katz videos and the case made for the coping foot seemed pretty convincing.

Gerry,

They are hitting in the back a little. Basically, as far as I can figure I need to fully cut away the sections that are parallel to the ceiling.

All,

I added additional pictures to make my problem more clear.

Comment area 1 : Here I just cut away the upper area

Comment area 2 : Like Gerry pointed out, here you can see the piece is short

Comment area 3 : Here I did not cut away the upper area

On the diagram I added a wall, ceiling, and labeling to show where my problem area is.

What I am looking for is what tactic(s) would be best for this area or if i should just scrap coping and just do miters.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Drew

A lot of people might disagree with me, but I miter crown.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Cope a small piece of scrap so you can figure out where you need to remove material to get a tight fit. And cut your pieces 1/16" to 1/8" longer, and install the ends first, with the center bowed out. Then, when you push into the center, it'll close up the joints tightly.

It also looks like your first piece with he square cut was short as well. Measure 3 times, cut once. I even like to cut a little big, and check the fit, and sneak up on the correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    A lot of people might disagree with me, but I miter crown.

Mike
    So do I, now. After years of coping I finally learned a way to miter crown with perfectly acceptable results. There's a formula for laying each piece flat on the bed of the miter saw with the saw set at a certain angle. I have a cheat sheet that I break out every time I need to do this. Once you get the hang of it, it's simple to do.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    So do I, now. After years of coping I finally learned a way to miter crown with perfectly acceptable results. There's a formula for laying each piece flat on the bed of the miter saw with the saw set at a certain angle. I have a cheat sheet that I break out every time I need to do this. Once you get the hang of it, it's simple to do.
    Confession time...

This is one of those things that I fear. People have tried to describe it to me, but I just don't get it. I guess I need to learn it "hands on".

Inner corners

I've seen people mount a block of wood into the corner and butt the crown into it. Doesn't look terrible.

Mike

I've put up a ton of that same profile, and it is absolutely miserable to cope. I gave up and started mitering and nailing as many corners as I could together before putting it up. I don't even know why the stuff is so tough, a complicated profile somehow manages to be easier.

Drew

If I couldnt use liberal amounts of caulk, construction adhesive and paint to hide my screw ups ... I wouldnt have even tried this project. I'm not a very good woodworker but I am a real pro with the caulk! Good luck.

Karl,

Thanks for piping is as someone who has dealt with this profile. It seems like with swoops and curves it is easier and all the 45 and 90 stuff is TOUGH! i thought it was just me since no one in this thread confirmed that it is the profile and not just entirely my lack of skill.

Dave,

If only I could use caulk with stain grade

All,

So I went ahead and bought the collins foot. I will give it one more try. I think I will try to avoid doing things shown with comment area 3 and do them more like comment area 1 by just cutting off the the "upper square" and not leave the part that is parallel to the ceiling.

Any other insights out there???

I am with you Mike, If they want it coped, I do not argue ...but they pay for copes. No copes in these shots.

Tom