Thread: finishing fume control

finishing fume control

Hello everyone,

I am trying to come up with a stain and finish fume removal system for my shop. any advice?
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Miller View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to come up with a stain and finish fume removal system for my shop. any advice?

Not to be smarmy here.... open a window behind you and put an outward-blowing fan in the window in front of you. Stand upwind of the fumes.

No windows? Get a heating contractor to install some ducting for you.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Finishing Center

There are plans for a finishing center in the most recent issue of ShopNotes Vol19 issue 111 http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/111/

blower fan

I was wondering about looking for a used oven hood and vent to the outside. Either that or a common bathroom ventilator. Would either of those provide the needed CFM. Also at what point do I have to worry about negative air pressure. I wear a mask while applying the stain/finish but I have found that the smell permeates the whole shop and I end up with a headache. I am kicking around the idea of moving the finish room into the attached garage and putting in some infrared heaters. I have better access to an outside wall there for venting and can open the garage door in the summer but am on a budget and lack the congressional power to spend what I don't have.
    CW Miller

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Are you using water base finishes?
    David B

water base

Yes and no. I used oil based stains and Minwax PolyAcrylic. I am experimenting with spraying the finish on. I also am experimenting with airbrushing the stain into my engravings so it does not pool in the cuts like id does when I dab with a foam brush. Check out www.cherokeewoodwhisperer.com there are pictures of my work on there. It is warming up now so I can leave the doors open or even set up a car port spraybooth but I need to make preperations for the winter that is to come again.
    Anther potential problem that I am running into is the fact that I have 8' ceilings and not much room for a hood. There is a garage attached to the basement shop that I have that could be used for a finish room in the summer but I currently don't have heat in there.
    CW Miller

Winston Churchill