Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

19 April 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
    The garden is tilled and in the processes of being planted. My daughter is taking charge of the garden and running it as if it was her business. This is good because she has people already placing orders for either plants or veggies once they are harvested.

I now have my second chair here for repair and this one isn't falling apart like the first one was....so I'm thinking this one will require a good bit more care and glue only the joints that are currently loose. I'm just not so sure about taking a half rickety chair totally apart and regluing every joint on the chair. I will have to tinker with this one a bit more and see.

I'm OnCall at work this week, as if last week wasn't long enough and hard enough for me at the day job? This one is going to be even more so challenging.

Well, that's it for me. So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Worked hard on the master bath cabinets. Veneered the cabinets on Saturday. Installed all the doors and drawers on Sunday. My knees feel it. I'll post pictures when I download from my Camera.

Was supposed to fly to London this morning but the volcano prevailed.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I had such high plans for the weekend....rained the whole time. So I vegged out on Sat. Sunday rain wasn't as heavy so I spent most of the day cleaning out the room that will be my assembly/finish area. Then spent the evening watching the Mavs first playoff game. Seemed like neither team could buy a bucket in the first quarter.
    I get to work this coming Sat. May be raining again, so might not be a big deal. But the yard will have to be done before then!! Maybe TLOML will do it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Spring cleanup around here. I changed the oil on the tractor, installed the mower deck, and mowed for the first time. Unfortunately Saturday was the coldest day in a long time and I stopped after about 15 minutes to grab a hat and gloves Pruned some trees that I found had grown since I last mowed, since my wife did it most of last summer due to me having surgery, then needing to work on cabinetry. Pulled some overgrown evergreen bushes from the island in the middle of our circle drive. And my wife and daughter cleaned the garage and helped with picking up the debris from my projects. Saturday evening we took our daughter and a friend out for pizza and bowling to celebrate her birthday. Sunday we washed windows (man do I LOVE the Windex you attach to the hose!) and some parts of the house that tend to get mildew on the siding before heading to Costco and then on to my brother's for dinner. Making a last minute decision to take the rest of today off to work on staining the deck.

Birdhouses!

I completed the last of the 30 birdhouses my wife needed for a project in her Kindergarten classroom. I have to say it was a fun project, as I experimented a little with each one, adding a small modification in technique or materials or design. But even with that caveat, building thirty of anything is a lot of work. They're done though, and now the kids will each get to paint one this week.

Tip for cheap paint: Try your local hazardous materials recycler. We all have public facilities where you can take hazardous materials (paint) for disposal. But have you ever gone there looking for paint? Mary wanted five different bright colours for the kids to choose from when painting their birdhouses, and we needed it to be cheap (free) if at all possible. Our local recycling center has racks of old paint available in 1 gallon pails, free for the taking. So we pulled 10 gallons or so, then winnowed it down to five. I took them home, opened and stirred everything to make sure it was viable, and then saved the paint sticks as samples for the kids to look at.

Free paint + handmade birdhouses. Here's to hoping the kids have fun with their spring art project =)
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

discovered how gorgeous African Paduak can look once you start applying finish... (sanded to 220, sprayed on shellac, and two coats of varathane sprayed on so far.)
    "It's Not About You."

For the first time, in a loooonnng time I have something to report. We just closed on our "new" house last Thursday, so I now have SHOP SPACE!!!! It is in the basement. I spent most of Saturday ripping out a storage rack that was suspended from the joists and tearing down the 38-year-old pegboard that was used to sheath the stud wall that separates the finished area from the shop. Then I had to remove nails, etc.

Sunday, I vacuumed the shop, including the 38 years of dust that had collected inside the stud wall from having pegboard sheathing.

I took some pics, but have not had a chance to download them from the phone yet.
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 04-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

worked worked and worked...... put the garden in.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I finally finished a self designed DVD/CD storage unit for the living room.

All red oak with 1/4" acid etched glass for the doors and sides.

I just need to let the stain cure a while longer and then wax the top.

Randy

CIMG0010.jpg

Not a second of shop time this weekend other than just walking through there a couple of times. Worked in the yard the entire time.

Hope everyone has agreat week!!!

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice Randy, Say... are you brewing beer back there?

Spent Saturday mowing and trying to beat the rain.

Sunday, started the Island/Bar base for our kitchen remodel.

Last edited by Tom Lowry; 04-19-2010 at 3:26 PM.

Saturday, I cleaned out and organized the garden shed, hauled off a bunch of yard debris (leaves, limbs) and mowed. The 17 month old grandson helped.

Sunday afternoon I finally got in the shop since it was raining. I finished a small box I had been working on, roughed out two bowls and turned another to completion.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Spent all day Saturday manning a marketing booth for the cafe at a motorcycle shop's open house/poker run for Habitat for Humanity. Afterwards, was able to get slats cut and edges routed, with 1/8" round over to ease the edges, for the second glider on the deck. Sunday after church, went to work at the cafe. After work, continued working on the slats for the second glider and cut and sanded the final slat for the first glider...wasn't cut correctly the first time around.
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowry View Post
    Nice Randy, Say... are you brewing beer back there?
    Yep, that's my second hobby.

Randy