Thread: Noisy Grizzly 1023 saw

Noisy Grizzly 1023 saw

My six year old 1023 Grizzly had been getting progressively more noisy - hard to describe - most like rattles with a harmonic component. Last night I finally investigated. First, the three belts clearly were no longer exactly matched. You could see on the slack side that one deflected more than the other two. Second, the arbor seemed to have a small amount of play.

I removed the belts and reversed them plus changed their order randomly. Next I found that the arbor sheave was no longer tight on the shaft. My HF 3mm Tee wrench fixed that. There are set screws in the both inner and outer sheave bottoms.

Both noise and harmonic are gone. No doubt I should get a new set of belts, but it appears that the loose arbor sheave was the bigger culprit. As I write this I realize I forgot to check the motor sheave for tightness!
    Hopefully this will help some other Creeker with a similar problem. This is the only adjustment I've had to make in six years of 1023 use. Fine saw.

Set screw advice

A little advice for any body messing with set screws. First Clean the threads with a little Electrical contact cleaner (or equivalent) to remove all traces of cutting oils (from mfg process)on both male and female threads. Then put a drop of loc-tight on the threads before tightening up. I know this really basic for a lot of you out there. (I like the electrical cleaner, cause I can put the straw up inside the hole for the female threads to flush them)

Blog Entries
    Tom has a good tip. I see this pulley issue off and on while cruising the forums. We should remember that our tools, like our cars, require routine maintenance. I know we all roll our eyes at the seemingly endless list of "inspected" parts of our cars that are supposed to justify the cost of a 30,000 mile service but, really, there are things that should be inspected every now and then.

I'm as guilty as anyone. Its been a long time since I've pulled the skins on my jointer base and checked the motor mounts and other fasteners. These things do vibrate a bit whilst cutting, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler