Thread: 3D Laser Engraving material(s)?

3D Laser Engraving material(s)?

Hi Team,

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some stable material to do some 3D engraving?

I have gotten some success with wide grain hardwoods like Maple, but you still get lots of varying depth with it because of the rambling density of the wood.

I am experimenting with small 3D landscapes to get the elevations mimiced in material. Not looking to do the depth to any sort of scale, I am just looking to get some consistency in the rastering depth.

Most of this is small and about 4 X 6 inch sort of size.

I have also tried a few foams with not a lot of success, though the Styrofoam SM type insulation material seems to get some sort of representation.

Here is a small sample of a elevation model that I am engraving.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W
    Rhino 4.0 / Coreldraw X4 / Stone Chisel 1.0!

"Does the noise in my head bother you?"

Have you tried acrylic? I've done some 3d with clear acrylic, it turned out OK. Just some small scale model pieces, but I was happy with the results.
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Something like basswood or yellow cedar may solve the grain issue: the only thing I know of with more consistent grain is MDF.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I took a quick shot at machinable urethane foam and it worked OK. With some setting tweaks, it might be a good choice.

Try here:
    http://www.freemansupply.com/MachinableMediaSam.htm
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I found basswood to be really reliable, with no grain to speak of as far as engraving goes. It's easy to engrave. The only thing you might run into is color streaks.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

San DiegoEdSapp Guest

Wood

I agree with the Bass wood. really popular with hand and lathe turners. Close grain.

Thanks for the quick ideas!! Gotta love this site. I have been away from it for a bit and will promise to help out where I can as well!!

I will try the Acrylic and Machinable foam idea. I have not played much with acrylic and this gives me the chance.

Doug, any idea of which foam might be better?
    RenShape 5020, 5025, 5030, 5045 polyurethane foam boards
    As I mentioned, I did get limited results with the Foam insulation board, but it has a lot of inclusions in it that make the density an issue.

For now, I have some Bass that looks pretty good so I will give that a shot as well.

I will report back with some photos a bit later this week.

Cheers!

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I found basswood to be really reliable, with no grain to speak of as far as engraving goes. It's easy to engrave. The only thing you might run into is color streaks.

dee
    Thanks Dee, I can deal with color streaking, but it is the graining of some of the hardwoods that give inconsitant results.

I don't know why I was not thinking Bass, as I have a bunch of it on the shelf to try out!!
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W

I wish I could help you with which foam. I don't know myself. A company I consult at gives me their remnants. In fact, when they receive pallets of the stuff, the manufacturer of the foam encapsulates the paid for part of the shipment with 1/4" foam sheet. If anybody works with companies who use it, ask how it's shipped. You might score. Off topic but the same company is in the middle of bringing in 850k pounds of virgin ABS/PVC blended .090" sheet. That is a lot of plastic.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

No Worries Doug,

I will order a sample pack and try some things out and let the team know what I find.

Cheers!

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W

Just did a larger piece of acrylic in 3D, results not as good as the small parts I'd been doing. Surface went a bit grainy on the deeper areas, I don't like the change in texture that resulted. Just though you should know.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC