Thread: incorporating contractor saw into table/outfeed

incorporating contractor saw into table/outfeed

I have a Jet contractor saw and am wanting to build a nice big (6x8' more or less) outfeed table for it that will also serve as my shop's center assembly table. Right now the saw is on a mobile base, but that would not be utilized when I build my table.

Yesterday a friend and I took the legs off the saw in order to get it to my basement and the idea hit me....

Why not leave the legs off and incorporate the saw into the table, supported by a sunken wood base integral with the outfeed table? The benefit I'm seeing is that dust collection would be easier than it is with the open underside of the base of the saw.

Has anyone done anything like this? Not sure how it would work with the rear fence rail and the motor...

I'm planning on doing a similar setup with my ridgid saw, although it will be somewhat different and have a router table built in as well. If you google 'tablesaw workstation' you should get a few ideas. Do a google image search as well. I think they look more complicated than they really are to build.

Aaron, I am preparing to do a similar thing with a fold down table for my saw, It also has a rear fence guide. I would love to change out my fence with one that doesn't have a rear guide, but I can't complain about my fence and so it would be a waste of money. Other's have done it on here, the trick is to make sure the out feed table leaves an ample gap for the fence to travel. Since you are using a cabinet, you will need to leave ample space for the travel of the motor through all of the blade settings. Just take some time and plan accordingly and it should be no problem.

Being that you are building a center cabinet and making your saw stationary it should make the construction much simpler, than a folding table! Yes you will have some "wasted" cabinet space behind the saw and under the outfeed table allowing for the movement of the motor, but (In my opinion) will be well worth having the outfeed table!

Been there done that

I did something very similar to this with my older jet contactor saw. Except it is build into a 49 x 97" sheet of melamine. I se it on top of a short cabinet and build the rest of the cabinets high enough to support the fence, a build in router table, outfeed etc. Tool storage under the right side table (under the fence extension)

Got my idea from Shopnotes Volume 15 issue 89.

VERY VERY pleased the way it worked out. I have a large surface with a built in router table and plenty of storage. Incorporated dust collection as well.

Dan

I regularly see contractor saws dropped into a table as you would a router into a router table. Simple and more stable that having the saw support the table.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Aaron,

I did something similar with my contractor saw. I got rid of the legs and mobile base, and built a base with storage. Several of the magazines have plans for this sort of thing. Be sure to use levellers.

I made a separate outfeed table with a large top (4x5) with four legs, also on levellers. Underneath was open where the motor hangs, so it can pivot when you tilt the saw. I then put a full extension sliding drawer under it, so I could fit some of my benchtop tools (disk sander, grinder) there with easy access. Again I put it on levellers so I could adjust everything so the tops are co-planar.

I left a 4 inch gap between the table saw table and the extension table. I did have to route some runners into the extension table to line up with the miter guage so my tablesaw sled would work. But the benefit of the gap is that I can use it break down plywood 4x8 sheets by using my battery powered circular saw. I align the cut I want over the gap. Both cut pieces are fully supported by the tables on either sides.

Blog Entries
    Just an idea generating shot or two. Not exactly what you are after but it does incorporate some good ideas for the saw portion. Your top would be much larger.

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/a_60_7_1.gif

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/TSCab24.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Woodsmith just released (well, I just bought it, don't know for sure how long its been out) a table saw compendium in magazine format which I picked up at Home despot. It has something similar to what you're referring to that also includes a router table. If you combined that with the best ever outfeed table at FWW, you would have a pretty cool table saw setup.

I built the outfeed table for my shop and use it as my assembly table. It is not quite as big as you are describing but it has served me well. It's a very nice design and the storage it provides is a really great use of shop space for me.

Thanks guys. Good ideas and I appreciate the links...Those pics get the gears turning! Keith and Dan I'd love to see pics of the tables you guys built.

why not something like this?

Wood Mag #178

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s

Not a bad idea Kurt. But I don't think that's what I want because my concrete floor isn't level at all...Far from it. Therefore, getting the tablesaw level presents a challenge, and leveling the outfeed support so it matches the saw presents a real challenge. My logic of incorporating it into the table (without the saw's legs utilized) would allow me to level the entire table at the same time as the saw. I have purchased four heavy duty leveling feet to attach to the table's wood legs, and now that I'm considering incorporating the saw I think I'll get two more.

Furthermore, I'm not lacking space at all, so I'm wanting something rather expansive! Portability won't be an issue.