Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Well, another weekend has come and gone. It's time to share what each of us did over the weekend. So.....

I spent some time on the lathe this weekend as well as making a raised panel lid for a guy at work that goes on a hall bench of his. It's out of mahogany and I found that my sinuses do NOT like the dust from mahogany. Oh well, I have it all cut, put together and glued up....just not stained or finished just yet. Other than that? Just spent time with the family and trying to find time to get all my Christmas stuff done before Dec 25th!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you all.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Made some Ring Holders and turned an Ambrosia Maple bowl. Finished a couple of Christmas presents and started getting our trailer and SUV ready for a camping trip on the Thanksgiving weekend. There are 9 trailers going for the 3 day weekend and 33 people. Should be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Got the trench dug, conduit laid and cable pulled for the new electrical service to my garage/shop. The first 70 ft were easy - with a trenching machine. The last 30 ft next to the house were by hand - 28 in deep in the Alabama WET clay!

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Finished wiring the 120 wall outlets in my shop. Got the mounting brackets painted and installed on the electrical mast for the service entry. Installed a bonding wire from the breaker box neutral bus to the natural gas pipe running within in the shop. Ready to start the 240 wiring, the 120 for air compressor and lighting circuits. Later this week I'll call for a service entry inspection and then I can have the utility company put power in the shop. One more weekend and I think I'll have the shop wired. I'll probably go ahead and finish the rough-in before I have power connected to the shop. I work with ac and high voltage dc everyday (480 ac....140,000 dc) but I still like to have a "dead box" when wiring. Once the meter is installed there will power in the box.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Friday when I got home I was greeted by a box with a PC 425MAG for my new EZ Smart Guide system. Down to the shop to play! It works great! The first cuts were to build the table for laying sheet goods on. I had a old table that was falling apart so I took the leg set from it and a scrap of 3/4" ply and with the help of my youngest son, got it all finished.

Saturday started off by my wife, 9 year old son and I going to an auction down the road. My wife has never ever been to an auction... She had a blast and so did my son. We got three planes, brace and some bits, two metal cream cans from local dairys long since out of business and two sausage grinders as well as a cherry seeder. This was good family time for us.
    We all three spent a lot of time in the shop working on Christmas gifts as well.

Sunday was more time in the shop. My wife decided we needed the Incra fence system for the drill press so she is ordering that on Monday. I was also told that I should look for some flocking in the mail this week as well as the fancy flocking gun that connects to the compressor. This woman is on a tool buying freenzy! I don't know if I can take her to the WW show in January... I only have a F250 truck and might not be able to haul all the stuff home

I don't know about you guys.... but my wife is fantastic. I don't hide new tools from her.... I think she hides them from me!

Here is a link to some of the items that we got at the auction and some of the projects my wife and son have made in the shop. I'll get more pictures and post on the site later in the week I hope.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/285486

Enjoy the rest of the pictures on the site if you like.

Now it is back to work .... Come on 4:30

Picked up a new/used (5 yrs old - never used) Oven/range to replace the 30yr old unit we currently have in the place. Also picked up a Freezer for the garage from the in-laws.

Saturday, visited with fellow Creeker Chris Padilla. He showed me is house and all the garage work he's been doing. Plus I got to see the Aircraft carrier (Jointer/Planer combo) WOW!! that will definetely make some boards really flat!!! Its nice meet other Creekers that are right down the street.

Thanks Chris!! Were you able to un-stuck the table top??

Sunday was football and family time. Plus a little limit game of Texas Hold'm poker with some friends.

Jon

Mine is the same - she decided we needed a compressor and brad gun. So off we go while my son is at a birthday party. After looking around we are pretty sure we are going to get the one from Porter Cable - CFN250 - you get a 18 and 16 gauge guns, plus you get a coupon for a free stapler.

Saturday, while working in the shed/shop, she took a bad spill while staining the box I made. We had been using milk cartons as seats, but they are fairly unstable and they slipped and down she went. So I made a bench for shop use. I took some pics of it and a few other things. When I get the film developed I will pist pics.

Short weekend, but finished up the new workbench before being pulled into "business meetings" for the "real job", starting early on Sunday. I'll get back on the Armoire project next weekend, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I took a bite of an elephant this weekend. Mostly watched football (Purdue finally broke their losing streak at the expense of the Buckeyes, and the Colts killed the Texans), but decided that if my shop was ever going to get clean and have half a chance at staying that way, I would have to reorganize it.

So I went out and measured everything in there, grabbed a pad of graph paper, drew out the shop (20'5" x 13'6"--I never knew that before!), cut out pieces to match the machines, and used a glue stick to slap some things down where I thought they should go, all while watching the Colts. There's a long (11'7") workbench built in right now that's going to have to get moved, it's been there since before I moved in, and I have an idea on how to add my DeWalt SCMS to it. It's currently on one of the long walls (think: workbench, chest freezer--not moving!, entry door, then another 2' on the long wall), and it's going to end up at the back, on a short wall. The chest freezer is staying put next to the door (thinking of the wifey here), so I'll miss having a ~16' workbench; the chest freezer and bench are within 1/16" of each other in height (occasionally the wife has had to move tools/projects to get into the freezer ).

Next bite of the elephant will be doing some basic cleaning of the floor so that stuff can get moved around. One major improvement will be that the lathe will go by the overhead door so that chips and shavings can either fly out the door or be quickly swept out, and, during nicer weather, I can have some good natural light (door is a western exposure).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Talking It's Finished!!!

I delivered the last cabinet for the wall unit on Sunday. Man what a job! I have to return one more time. My finish nailer blew a nail through the face frame in a VERY visible spot! I didn't have the tools I needed to extract and/or hide it. One flippin' nail! Anyway the client is very happy.

He has another much smaller job or me and one of his friends wants a wall unit similar to the one I just finished. They will be looking at the results and making a decision shortly.

Today I am going to inventory all the cut-offs and enter them into Cut List Plus. I hate this part.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Another Great weekend, 4 whole days, made a lot of saw dust and shavings, plugged and unplugged. The Neander techniques have really helped fit and finish of my trim work. I'm liking the result. Given up completely on trying to meet any deadlines. It will be finished when it wants to. Progress does stimulate more interest and effort in a project. I seems to move better.... Because it's moving better.

Spent some time BSing with WWs about tools in a couple shops on my quest to have the most toyls before I die.

Have a good week.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Installed the fireplace mantel for a client on Saturday, then went and bought some wood: 5 bdft of Wenge, 5 bdft of Curly Maple and 18 dbft of Jatoba. I think I will make a box for SWMBO for xmas out of the Wenge and C. Maple. I've not used the Jatoba before and found some real nice pieces for $3.49/bdft locally. Anyone out there use this stuff?

Started building a box out of Paduak based on an inspirational piece from a book. Things were going great and then all heck broke loose and now it is junk, I'll have to resize the pieces and basically start over. This would have been a time for a prototype, oh well. Sure is pretty wood and I don't want to waste it, anyways the box was probably too big... right????!!!!!

Saturday night and Sunday were quite eventful from a family perspective. My neice who we have been raising since she was 5 1/2, decided she no longer wanted to follow the house rules (no drinking, midnight curfews, limited body piercings, no sleeping around, doing her best in school and basically being a responsible individual) and packed up and headed out. BTW, she broke every rule listed..... We've been dealing with quite a bit for the last 8-9 months (minor and major conflicts about every other day) and were hoping she would either see the light or we could get her through High School. She is a Senior and has basically one more semister left. There's much, much more to the overall story, but this is just a small picture. Pretty darn stressful for the whole family. So needless to say, not much sleep around the Coffelt household the last few nights.

That's about it.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scored some Walnut and Curly Maple for a couple of jewlry boxes, I'm making for Christmas presents.

[QUOTE=Dick Parr]Made some Ring Holders and turned an Ambrosia Maple bowl. Another fin job Dick. Great spinny stuff!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

[QUOTE=Byron Trantham] Anyway the client is very happy.

He should be happy Byron. Excellent job
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.