Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roubo is boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Neat, thanks for the tip. I was considering that, but wasn't sure about it. I guess it is just a clearance hole anyway.
    That is true, but I was very surprised to see that the 3/4" holes met so well, almost no ridge at all. The legs on my bench of 5x5 and that's a long hole! Due the thickness of my top and the fact I want to be able to use the Vertias Wonder Dogs and thier shaft is very long. Any skewing of the hole will show up with these.

I used a forstner bit and a electromagnetic drill press.

I did just fine with a hardware store spade bit. Don't think it cost more than a few dollars. It was quick and clean in SYP.

To keep the holes totally vertical, I mounted my drill in an older version of one of these:http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...441-02-200.jpg
    To keep the spacing even, I attached it to a board which indexed off the previous hole and the front of the bench.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

When I bored the holes in my 4 inch thick demo bench top I used this tool and a 3/4 auger bit.

When I drilled the holes in the 1 3/4 inch hard pin oak top and apron for my Nubench, I used my portable 1/2 inch Sioux drill and stand with a 13/16 forstner bit.

It was slow going, so I finished up with a spade bit and my 3/8 Ace Hdwe, cheap V/sd hand drill.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thank you so much for all the help. I have borrowed a friends small Craftsman drill press and took it a part and found that I can lower the head down and rotate it backwards....kindof like the mag drill and Harry's drills. I did a test last night and I got a straight hole.
    Again, if this wasn't a 4 inch top and I have some stuff that goes to whole length, it would be a problem to hand drill. But it became a little critical with the Veritas Wonder Dog.
    Harry, how well does the old augar press work? I had that on my mind and went to an old antique store yesterday in search of one. If it does well, I might watch for a bargain on EBay.

Hi all-

Not an expert but, I used a 3/4" HSS router bit attached to my edge guide to get as far down as I could. Then switched to a brace with a 3/4" auger bit until the tip broke through the bottom. Stopped IMMEDIATELY! Then used a 3/4" forstner in my electric drill (could have used a brace or an eggbeater) (avoid chipout at the bottom).

The edge guide kept everything nice and even and I got longer rods so that I could reach further across the top. Marked the rods every 6" for spacing across and used a storystick to measure the distance along the side of the bench.

Much more information than is necessary.

--Steve.

Josh it works well with a sharp auger bit with a good thread on the tip, its slower than using electrons, and you will notice you have sore arms and shoulders if your not used to the physical exertion that is needed to operate it. But you end up with large chips instead of dust and you don't need ear protectors to use it. LOL

Back when I made my demo bench I was smithing full time, so it wasn't a problem for me. Now it would be.

FWIW dept- I clamped a scrap across the bottom of my benchs to prevent split outs when going thru.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Josh it works well with a sharp auger bit with a good thread on the tip, its slower than using electrons, and you will notice you have sore arms and shoulders if your not used to the physical exertion that is needed to operate it. But you end up with large chips instead of dust and you don't need ear protectors to use it. LOL

Back when I made my demo bench I was smithing full time, so it wasn't a problem for me. Now it would be.

FWIW dept- I clamped a scrap across the bottom of my benchs to prevent split outs when going thru.
    Thanks Harry,
    Do you clamp it to want you're boring? It looks like it would be easier than using a brace....not simplier though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herbin View Post
    Hi all-

Not an expert but, I used a 3/4" HSS router bit attached to my edge guide to get as far down as I could. Then switched to a brace with a 3/4" auger bit until the tip broke through the bottom. Stopped IMMEDIATELY! Then used a 3/4" forstner in my electric drill (could have used a brace or an eggbeater) (avoid chipout at the bottom).

The edge guide kept everything nice and even and I got longer rods so that I could reach further across the top. Marked the rods every 6" for spacing across and used a storystick to measure the distance along the side of the bench.

Much more information than is necessary.

--Steve.
    Steve,
    I really like the router method but the 3/4" bits are hard to find and expensive. And if I understand correctly the HSS ones only will last a bench or two (at $45 and 18 holes that's $2.50 a hole), and the carbide ones are like 150 bucks, but would last longer!

On the narrow demo bench I just sat on it like it was designed to be used. On wide things I just clamp a batten from side to side across the seat area to hold it in place. Its a rather uniqued machine originally designed to bore out the majority of waste for mortises on large beams for barn construction etc.
    Jr.

On the narrow demo bench I just sat on it like it was designed to be used. On wide things I just clamp a batten from side to side across the seat area to hold it in place. Its a rather uniqued machine originally designed to bore out the majority of waste for mortises on large beams for barn construction etc.
    I'm looking on EBay now to see what they sell for. I'd like to have one if they really work and will drill a straight hole.

The oldtimers would have accomplished the job this way, with a simple drilling guide.

PS - the one like I have and some others can be adjusted to drill holes at any angle, the simpler ones only bore straight holes, no angle adjustment, and most will need to be refurbished.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 04-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Jr.

The oldtimers would have accomplished the job this way, with a simple drilling guide.
    I tried that with auger and electron powered and found after 4 inches I seem to be off. My guide may had been off even though it was done of a drill press, but since my friend loaned me his rig, I havn't had a chance to see why the guide didn't work. (Did you see the pics of your hold downs on my Roubo?......They make my bench look good....bench jewery?

I guess I missed that Josh. I haven't been on the puter much this week. A week ago today I had to call 911 and have the ambulance come and git my wife as I couldn't wake her up and she was unresponsive. Been a trying week for me especially when the Drs informed me to notify family members immediately. But she is being released today, she has made an amazing recovery, thanks to the excellent medical people we have here and also a brand new state of the art Hospital.
    Jr.

I guess I missed that Josh. I haven't been on the puter much this week. A week ago today I had to call 911 and have the ambulance come and git my wife as I couldn't wake her up and she was unresponsive. Been a trying week for me especially when the Drs informed me to notify family members immediately. But she is being released today, she has made an amazing recovery, thanks to the excellent medical people we have here and also a brand new state of the art Hospital.
    Harry,
    I hate to hear that. I'll continue to keep you and yours in my prayers. Here's the picture I put up on "Introducing Le Roubo"
    Take care of yourself.
    Josh