Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we need to Gloat?

Do we need to Gloat?

Hi all

As a relative newbie to this forum I'm struck with the wealth of information and experience that everyone generously shares. And the opportunity to participate in thoughful exchanges like the one started by Mark Singer awhile ago. ( I know I didn't post but I read every exchange -- sometimes twice that was a great discussion)

As I was puttering around in the workshop the other day I was thinking about the strong opinions often expressed about tools, especially when a review thread takes a wrong turn and becomes prickly. I was wondering if these situations are created by the gloat postings we so often see.

I don't know why or how they started, I haven't been around here long enough. On one hand, they're good fun, and I have to say that I enjoy showing off a new toy to my friends in real time. But here, sometimes, they take on a life of their own.

So just to make sure I wasn't going off half cocked, I hit the dictionary"

Meaning of GLOAT
    Pronunciation: glowt

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] malicious satisfaction
    [v] dwell on with satisfaction
    [v] gaze at or think about something with great self-satisfaction, gratification, or joy

So aside from the obvious "look what I've got" value of a gloat post, I wonder what it gets us as a community. A bit of fun, sure, but are we hurting other's feelings who can't afford the "high end" stuff?

I think the reviews are wonderful and certainly appreciate the shared experiences of people and why they bought a certain item. But merely to post the fact that we've spent money is, perhaps, unnecessary.

Awhile ago I was agonizing about buying a band saw, and was wavering between two brands -- it was a lot of money for me and I didn't want to make the "wrong" decision. One kind soul finally said "don't worry, you're in the ballpark with two good machines, get one of them and use it to make stuff, you won't look back. He was right!

So what would happen to this place if we stopped gloating? Would it take away the fun? Would it open up the forum to more information sharing about the decisions each of us makes as we equip our shops?

Jay

Jay -

I see the gloats as a way of sharing - to others who can appreciate it - the new "whatever" we just got. Try telling a coworker about your new "whatever" and watch their eyes glaze over.

Second. Part of the gloating is announcing, after asking the opinions of others during the research process, what it was you chose. The advice you got on your bandsaw falls in to that category.

When the post announces a new acquisition we can all have a little vicarious fun.

Regards,
    Ted

Jay ---

My perception is that the gloat postings don't cause much trouble. (However, I have to admit I almost never read them. They bore me. The posters are always kind enough to put "gloat" in the topic line, and I can easily ignore them.)

Several recent threads on this forum reinforce an opinion I've slowly been formulating. On this board, we're all amateurs in the oldest sense of the word: lovers. We do woodworking because we love it, even those of us who do it for a living. It turns out that we love different things about it. There are those who love creating works which have never been seen before. There are those who love re-creating classic designs. There are those who love technique -- for instance, handcutting dovetails or planing a shaving you can read through. There are those who love tools, and aren't particularly interested in actually building anything with them. There are those who love thinking and talking about woodwork, almost to the exclusion of doing woodwork.

I find that we tend to assume that everybody else in this craft has the same motivations that we ourselves do. Heck, we find it odd that other people have different motivations. For instance, the folks who love creating new designs are surprised that anyone enjoys building antique reproductions. Yet if we think about it, I think we realize that the other folks are woodworkers too, and that they do love it as much as we do.

To bring this thought back around to your thread title, you and I may not be interested in gloat postings, but clearly there are a lot of folks on the forum who are. I'll bet there's some good fraction of them who are bored by my postings. So we all pick and choose our way around the forum, reading and responding to threads which interest us. For the most part we can get along with each other -- particularly when we remember that those folks love some aspect of woodworking as much as we do.

Jamie Buxton

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana

Talking Good fortunes!!!

I don't think gloats are harmful. i think they are a sharing thought from others on their good fortune. I think it makes us strive a lil harder for something that we want. Not necessarily now but maybe sometime in the near future. And i like hearing about someone getting a new tool or some wood that they been wanting for a special project. Keep the gloats coming.
    Pete
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

I have to agree with Ted on this. It's always nice to be able to share new purchases with others that will understand and appreciate the fact that you are proud to have been able to aquire something that you have wanted, especially if not ALL family members share your interest and enthusiasm, or even understand it. This applies whether it is a $2 item or a multi thousand $ item, and I always enjoy reading of someones new "JOY" and enjoy it with them, as well as posting my own purchases for the same reasons. To get into that "might hurt someone's feelings that can't afford it bit", is too much like all the "Politically Correct Syndrome" that is the rage now, (and which I can't stand). When someone posts about a purchase that is Absolutely out of my price range, (which happens often these days), it still lets me Dream a little, and Dreams are what keep us going and the Juices flowing.

"Gloat", by definition may not be used absolutely correct here, but it's just a good topic title that we all know as, "Aha! A New Tool/Wood, etc. Report".

I say, Keep 'Em Coming, gives us all new ideas and incentives.

Cheers, and Saw Safe...........Norm

Hi Jay:

Most of the gloats I enjoy reading. Whether it is a old hand plane purchased at a garage sale for a couple bucks or a multi-thousand dollar euro-superduper jointer/planer combo deal, I enjoy reading the descriptions. I view the gloats like window shopping.....it's free.

Yes, there are some gloats that get out of control. Most of which (actually I can't think of anyother gloats that get out of control) revolves around Festools.

Does that mean I think Festool gloats or reviews should be banned? I don't think so. Even in the heated posts, good comments are made. However, would I prefer less agruments? You Bet!

Best Regards
    Joe

I think that "GLOAT" is tongue in cheek as expressed here. It seems to have started when an unusually good bargain was had but it is just a bit of slang for the forum. What can the harm be? I have NEVER seen Maliscious intent.
    John

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I whole heartedly agree with Ted. It hasn't been the source of trouble as I see it but a sharing of ideas and process. I have a shop filled with wonderful new tools, most of which I didn't know existed this time last year. (Doesn't take much to fill my small shop). Many of the accessories are also a result of seeing form and function here in the creek.
    Along that line I have been a pain to many, demanding pictures of their acquisitions and projects. This is out of a need to see in order to understand. You can't get an education like this out of a book or magazine. The only thing better than seeing it in the Creek is being right there to touch and work with the new toyl. Just by gloating, proud owners share their trials and victories of unpacking and setting up 700lb machines.
    When I flashed my monster machine many stepped forward to affirm my decision and offered welcomed suggestions for care and feeding.
    Just getting a glimpse of other WW shops not only showed what could be done with a given space but allowed a more trained eye to sound the alarm on dangerous situations.
    Call it what you will. I call it School.
    The day Creekers stop gloating is the day I look for another swimming hole.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 11-15-2004 at 7:21 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Please forgive the following:

To gloat or not to gloat,
    That is the question.
    Whether ‘tis nobler to let it slip—
    That joy of gainfully gotten Grizzly green,
    That beautiful blob of Powermatic mustard,
    Or that piece of pewtery Porter Cable—
    Or better to hide behind a secret grin,
    Self-satisfied and smug in unshared delight,
    Making all your tool buddies wonder
    What in the world you’ve been up to?
    Well, just so’s you know:
    I’ve been up to, and I’ve been down to,
    I’ve been into and finally gotten around to
    Just accidentally spilling the beans—
    Oh! And here’s a picture!
    Could I not tell you about my grandboys?
    No less could I not tell you about my new toys!
    Last edited by Steve Beadle; 11-15-2004 at 7:48 PM.

Love the response Tyler. Right on target.

Don't you think it should be all for fun?

Lets enjoy our habit.

I really hate it when people get all pissy about how "their tool" is blah, Blah, Blah...

I'm just here for the info and an occasional chuckle.

Welcome,

You are at a great place with knowleable people very willing to help and share....please enter any discussions it will be a welcome addition...several people like pictures (Tyler and a few others)
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

pro gloat

I have never seen a gloat to be a "snooty nose in the air I am better than you because of my festool!" I have seen nothing but fun and appreciation of shared information. Honestly I have seen 99.9% of the time this forum to be nothing but encouraging when someone shares there latest project or there latest conquest from a garage sale or from the retail outlet for festool tools. I love to open and read the gloat posts... maybe I am simple minded? but non the less I love it when someone shares a good deal or a long awaited expensive tool they were finally able to purchase. I find this conversation familiar to the old Norm Abrams discussions of he uses $10,000 worth of tools to make a $100 caffee table.
    I say gloat away and if I should have such good fortune I will also!
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Steve Beadle!!!!

Steve Beadle is my new hero! No sarcasm intended at all! As a "closet Shakespeare nerd", I love a person who can quickly "borrow the bard", and have a bit of fun!

Steve, kudos to you! As a teacher and a guy who gets goosebumps reading Shakespeare(be nice), you are a-okay in my book!

As to the topic, I like the gloats. It's a "wink and a smile" way to show off your new toyls(kudos, TJH).

As for me, a pre-gloat is in order. I just ordered a Router Raizer for my new PC 690 router kit(fixed and plunge), a length of hose for my "new" DC(thanks TJH), picked up a new Craftsman 19.2volt drill, saw, flashlight kit, and a bunch of sandpaper. Tomorrow, a miter saw. Bit of a "tool orgy", I'm afraid.

Pics will follow.

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

If anyone is in my situation - which I'm sure some are - my roommates run the other way when I come in from the garage with my latest wooden accomplishment. They could care less what tool I've purchased, fixed or was given. I've been pushed into taking my latest projects to work to show off ---- but now my co-workers are getting bored with it - can you imagine that!!!

So finding the creek which is full of people who understand me and my obsession is wonderful! The fact that I can scream as loud as my keyboard will let me and someone, even just one, person will appreciate what I've got to say is like balm to my ego.

Is this to say I read every post, gloat or not, no. I don't have that much time. But I most certainly enjoy all the ones I read. And hopefully other enjoy the ones I post.

So I say let the gloats continue - if they get out of hand we have a wonderful moderator that will set us straight. This has got to be one of the very best forums on the internet.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Betsy