Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mobile base for an 8" jointer?

Best mobile base for an 8" jointer?

I have a 400 lb. Grizzly 8" jointer and I need a mobile base for it. What's a good one to buy? Is the Rockler "All Terrain" one a good (although pricey) mobile base? I'm in a garage, and my floor is uneven in places, so the "all-terrain" aspect may come in handy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg

I've got my 8" Grizzly (G0500) on an HTC base that is sized perfectly for it. I've also used HTC bases for other shop tools (including my Bridgewood mortiser on one of the "universal" bases), and haven't had any problems with them. That said, the jointer doesn't actually get moved very often.

Blog Entries
    HTC's welded task specific bases area very nice. I have found the HTC Uni base very unacceptable for all but minor swiveling of my DP, It was pretty useless at half the rated load under my saw. The best bases reported here seem to be shop made.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Where would I find designs for shop built ones? Do any of the magazines have good designs? Or are they pretty much custom and designed by each user?

thanks
    Greg

Greg.. my 8" sits on a JET heavy duty universal at around $90. I keep the jointer in my back shop (1/2 basement) and roll if up to what I call the cut area in the front shop 3 times a day on average. I am retired and in the shop daily. That Jet (not the smaller one at $60 works fine on both my 8" jointer and 18" BS which isn't moved much as it sits in the front shop.

Just a thought as the welded bases are great but expensive.. good luck!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

Hi, the above link will show you the mobile base I built for my Hammer A3-31, which is heavier than your jointer.

The semi live skid design is ideal, easy to move and yet the machine can't move when you are using it.

Regards, Rod.

Rockler

I have the Rockler on my 8" grizzly jointer and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    HTC Uni base very unacceptable for all but minor swiveling of my DP.
    Really? What is the issue? I've got one under my Bridgewood mortiser, which weighs in at about 380 lbs, and it works fine. I think, in retrospect, my Bridgewood has a small footprint, so I doubled up the sides they provided on the theory that it would increase rigidity (and I wouldn't have to store them someplace). Maybe it actually does help, because the universal base doesn't seem to work any worse than the welded HTCs I've got...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The semi live skid design is ideal, easy to move and yet the machine can't move when you are using it.
    Nice job on that base.

I've only recently started using the "semi live skid design," since that is how the mobility kit for my new-ish Laguna 14SUV is designed. So far, I sort of like it, but I will confess that I'm not wild about the whole get-the-handle-in-the-hole thing. Already I've tried to engage it, thought it was locked in, and ended up having the pin not engaged and skating off the bottom--I can't see why they don't make that pin longer and tapered so the engagement is more obvious. I also seem to find that the natural thing to do with the handle is to lean it up against the wall, whereupon invariably the bottom rolls out at some random moment and the steel handle hits my concrete floor, usually scaring the crap out of me at an inopportune time.

So, engineering-wise, it makes sense. Pragmatically, I seem to be taking some time to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Nice job on that base.

I've only recently started using the "semi live skid design," since that is how the mobility kit for my new-ish Laguna 14SUV is designed. So far, I sort of like it, but I will confess that I'm not wild about the whole get-the-handle-in-the-hole thing. Already I've tried to engage it, thought it was locked in, and ended up having the pin not engaged and skating off the bottom--I can't see why they don't make that pin longer and tapered so the engagement is more obvious. I also seem to find that the natural thing to do with the handle is to lean it up against the wall, whereupon invariably the bottom rolls out at some random moment and the steel handle hits my concrete floor, usually scaring the crap out of me at an inopportune time.

So, engineering-wise, it makes sense. Pragmatically, I seem to be taking some time to get used to it.

Hi Eric, mine has a 3/8" diameter pin in a 1/2" hole so it goes in very nicely.

My handle also has the tongue extend past the wheels so it can be stood up against the wall.

I find the design easy to move, and very stable.

I also use that design on my saw/shaper which is about 400Kg...Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

Hi, the above link will show you the mobile base I built for my Hammer A3-31, which is heavier than your jointer.

Regards, Rod.
    Sorry for the hijack - Rod, what size wheels are you using and where did you get them?
    Thanks,
    Lewis

My friend has the HTC on his Grizzly 8" jointer and it works well.

Mike

Hi Lewis, I think they're 4" diameter X 2" width, with a 5/8" roller bearing ID.

I purchased them from a local industrial supplier for $20 each.

They are overkill, however they work great and have grease fittings.

I like the steel wheels, they roll very easily on concrete, and they don't pick up nails etc like rubber wheels do.

Regards, Rod.

I purchased the 12" jointer from Grizzly late last year and it came on a plywood base with metal frame underneath. I purchased four caster from Grizzly, jacked it up, and attached the casters to the metal.

The casters were very heavy duty, but they don't really swivel great, but once you get it moving in the right direction, no problem.

I was 'hoping' there would have been some way to mount the casters directly onto the base, but there wasn't.

Forgot to add - all my tools are on home built mobile bases, typically a 2x4 frame with casters attached. Four hundred pounds isn't a lot when you consider each caster needs to support 100 lbs, so Home Depot/Lowes will have them. Make sure all four are swivel/brake.