Thread: Rockler Sure Hooks really work?

Rockler Sure Hooks really work?

How do you guys spray cabinet doors?

The Rockler Sure Hooks look promising, but most all reviews at Rockler complain about excessive spinning...

Comments?

Cameron Reddy

A turntable pin board. A lazy susan bearing with a plywood surface with a bunch of brads sticking up. Sprays edges, back and set into a rack. Wash rinse repeat.

My rack is a bunch of dowels stuck into 2x4's that free stand. It holds about 30 doors I think.

By the time I get from the top down it is time to scuff sand and start over.

I stole the idea from the finishing forum at woodweb.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe,

Don't the nail tips mar the show surface when you spray the back side?

Cameron

Depends.

You would have to leave the door on the spray rack since you can't move a door that is wet on all sides. In that case it would.

Here is my process.

All the doors go into the rack.
    Top door onto the turntable
    spray sides and back
    door back onto rack
    next door down onto turntable
    wash rinse repeat until all are done

Here it changes a tad. If I have a bunch and it has been 30 minutes plus from the top door I start at top, flip door onto turntable front up and spray front. Back onto rack, next door spray front and so on. Scuff sand, hit with a re-usable tack rag (microfiber clothes are the bomb) and back to rack. Once the rack is full, next coat or finish. If it is time short I leave them until they are ready and then do the same process.

This goes on for a seal coat and at least two top coats. Stain, dye, etc gets done before the finish obviously and any toner, etc gets done just before the seal coat. With 30-40 doors it is non stop action for one guy.

Another caveat is to watch re-coat windows for your finish. I use Target USL now EM-6000 and it is dry in about 15-20 minutes to touch and scuff in 30-40.

Couple pictures I stole from the internet of a rack idea and one of my rack and turntable. Not fancy but serviceable.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 04-23-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: uploaded wrong pic
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I made a tree similar to Joe's. I spray them on a simple turntable using painter's pyramids to hold them. Spraying WB lacquer they dry enough to handle in 20-30 minutes. Spray them all one side and by the time you are done you can flip and spay the other side.