Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I wait for an 8 inch planer

Should I wait for an 8 inch planer

My local wood supplier will be having a clearance sale on some equipment. Among the items on sale is a PM54 6 inch planer for $660.00 and a Delta 6" planer for $469.00.

Should I wait and buy an 8 inch planer or jump and buy one of these 6 inch models?

Thank you (in advance for all of your expertise)
    Joe

I don't have much expertise but, from what I have read (including threads here), I have decided to start with an 8" jointer rather than 6".
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-15-2004 at 9:35 PM.

Good quality hardwood (the kind you need a jointer to flatten) must be over 6 inches wide for the better grades in most species. With a good saw blade, a table saw does as good or better a job on edges than a jointer. Therefore I have found my 6 inch jointer of limited use, and am looking at 16 inch replacements.

Much of the wood I buy would fit an 8 inch jointer - it would be far more useful than a 6 inch. I recommend 8 or more inches.

I waited and got the griz 0500 8" four blade and glad I did, I don't think I would have been happy with anything smaller.

Definitely Yes

Bigger is better. Think of it. Your building a 32 inch table top. Wouldn't you want to build it with 4 eight inch boards rather than 5 or six smaller boards? Look for a jointer with a long bed. I've had a Delta DJ-20 for about 5 years with no problems.

Dave

Grizzly has an 8" jointer for $773 including shipping.http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...Number=G1018HW

EDIT: I dont know about the quality

Also Yorkcraft has one for $650 + shipping (dont know how much that is)
    http://www.bridgewood.com/Yorkcraft.tpl I also don't know how good this jointer is, but in the 2005 FWW Tool Guide, Yorkcraft got best value for there 6" jointer.
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 11-15-2004 at 9:43 PM.

I would save for an 8" jointer and if you could swing a 12" jointer...even better!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    Grizzly has an 8" jointer for $773 including shipping.http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...Number=G1018HW

EDIT: I dont know about the quality
    I've had that one for over a year and used it regularly with no issues. Haven't touched it lately due to other projects, though.

Sturdy, well built without the low quality flashing, etc., you might find on some cheap stuff.

Grizzly came out with the 0500 a few months later. Given a choice, I'd go for that one first. Bigger motor (1/2HP+?), four blades instead of three, and longer tables. Nice buy.
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

wait until you can get at least a 10" jointer. i just sold my 6" jet to get the 10" oliver jointer. i couldn't be happier. find it at WWW.Sunhillmachinery.com, awesome jointer. about the same price as a DJ20 X5edition.

sascha

wait!!! You'll be glad you did.

chris

I have a 6" jointer and I have to say it limits me more than any power tool I have in my shop.....I should have bit the bullet and bought an 8"

If most of your stock was 6" wide or less, then you would be fine........but how realistic is that?

My 2 cents: wait

AG

After being limited for Many, Many years with 6 inchers, I finally got fed up and went to a 14".

My advice...........WAIT!!!!

Cheers..........Norm

Man...go for the 24" jointer!!!

Two Foot Mambo

It'll cost you about $90, and yes , you MIGHT have to flatten the sole, but, it's gonna pay of in the end. Of course, you may want a more expensive brand, and that's up to you.

Maurice
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 11-17-2004 at 8:12 AM.

AUGH!!!!!! lol Jointer Jointer Jointer...., thanks for all of you who read my weary mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    AUGH!!!!!! lol Jointer Jointer Jointer...., thanks for all of you who read my weary mind.
    Actually, Joe, I happen to HAVE a 7" planer! Don't know if you recall the WH molder I restored a while back, but it's really a planer/molder, complete with 7" knives! Now, why anyone would want just 7" in a planer is beyond me, but there you have it! BTW, if you have the room and the ca$h, hold out for an 8" or better! I picked up the DJ20 not too long ago, because I now have the room for it. With all the milling I've done from rought lately, I doubt I could go back to a 6"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!