Thread: Home Made Bowl Lathe - Additional info and pictures

Home Made Bowl Lathe - Additional info and pictures

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments. Some ask for additional information and pictures, if anyone is interested in building a similar lathe I'll provide all the help and info I can.

The first picture below shows early testing. I started with a 4" X 4" X 1/4" H beam. After some testing I realized that with a large out-of-balance blank I would get some twisting and vibration so I welded a 4" X 1/4" plate to each side of the H beam, this solved most of the vibration problem.

A 4" square tube with maybe 1/4" wall thickness (for a heavy duty lathe maybe use a 6" square tube) would be a better choice for the main pedestal.

I scrounged the pillow block & bearings at a junk yard then turned the spindle on my old 9" South Bend metal lathe, it has 1 1/2" x 8 tpi and is solid (no hole through the spindle). I have 1 1/2" inserts for my Vicmarc chucks and face plates and other chucks from my South Bend. The spindle will be the most difficult part for most people to build. A local machine shop could build the spindle to your specs.

The 3rd picture is of the tool rest bed. This is made with 3" X 1 1/2" X 3/8" steel angle and is 12" long. This should be at least 18" long. I did not consider how far out a bowl extends when mounted in the chuck. The bed can be lowered about 5" to increase the capacity to 28".

The tool rest (banjo) is 2" X 1 1/2" X 3/8" and is 12" long. The tool rest holder can be any round steel tube with a 1" hole threaded for a bolt. I use a 1/2" bolt.

I think that some heavy rectangle bar stock (maybe 1 1/2" X 2") would work for both the bed and banjo replacing the steel angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info.

Do you think a shroud around the motor would be beneficial. I cant help thinking the shavings and dust getting the motor would be a bad thing.

Steve

Dale,
    Thanks loads for this post. I CAN see one under a shade tree. I found a need to let the better half see this. Her Dad was a machinist and a scrounger. Her remark was " you could find what you don't have by this afternoon I'm sure" she caught herself and shut up but it was tooooo late lol.
    Charlie

Looks like quite the rugged little lathe! I really like the small footprint as well as the expanded swing capability!

Nice work! Very well thought out!

Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sweet bit of fabrication! It's small stature would allow a fit into even the smallest shops. Looking forward to many pic's of your projects that come off of it...Bill...

Shavings and dust getting in the motor doesn't seem to be a problem, I vacuum up the shavings and dust often including the motor, however, I probable should have a shield over the belt pulley for safety reasons.

Hmmm...That reminds me. I still have a giant lathe to build.

Sheesh.....I knew coming back here was gonna get me in trouble.

That is one really cool lathe Dale!! I tip my hat.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I would think you would want to bore out that spindle so you could do vacuum chucking. With no vacuum chuck and no tailstock, it seems like finishing bowls becomes a bit difficult (stuck with Cole jaws, donut chucks, etc). Just a thought.

Great looking bowl lathe. You don't need a hollow spindle for a vac chuck. Go to Bill Grumbine's website. He had one that you didn't need a hole in the spindle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

vacuum chuck

I have a 12" Rockwell/Delta lathe where I could use a vacuum chuck, if I had one. I normally use bowl jaws to finish the bottom and foot of my bowls.

Great lathe and American ingenuity!! Do I see a new lathe company in the making..

Nice job and very interesting. If I hadn't just put a wood floor over my concrete I might be tempted.

Very well done Dale! is the motor VS? that would help a lot and a TEFC motor would not be harmed by dust or shavings.

I too was discouraged by the high cost of commercially available lathes with decent capacity and resorted to building my own. I however, used concrete for the pedestal.
    Happy turnings!
    Mark