Thread: Finishing Disaster wipe-on poly

Finishing Disaster wipe-on poly

I hope you can help me with a finishing disaster I’ve gotten into. The project is a white oak Murphy bed where I used a sealer coat of equal parts of shellac (3 lb), BLO & mineral spirits. After the sealer coat was dry, Minwax Golden Oak Stain Finish was applied and given time to dry. The surface at this point was very dull with the stain color. “The problem occurred when Minwax wipe on satin polyurethane was applied.” This resulted in cloudy white spots forming on the surface during the drying process time.

What would cause the poly to react the way it did, and what can be done to correct this problem

Thanks
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank T Bye Sr View Post
    I used a sealer coat of equal parts of shellac (3 lb), BLO & mineral spirits.
    I hope you really didn't do this. These products aren't compatible if mixed together. Are you sure you mixed all three of these together?

Agree with Jeff. That isn't a good combo. With the cloudy spots though, could be the flatteners used in the satin poly didn't mix evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank T Bye Sr View Post
    I hope you can help me with a finishing disaster I’ve gotten into. The project is a white oak Murphy bed where I used a sealer coat of equal parts of shellac (3 lb), BLO & mineral spirits. After the sealer coat was dry, Minwax Golden Oak Stain Finish was applied and given time to dry. The surface at this point was very dull with the stain color. “The problem occurred when Minwax wipe on satin polyurethane was applied.” This resulted in cloudy white spots forming on the surface during the drying process time.

What would cause the poly to react the way it did, and what can be done to correct this problem

Thanks
    Frank
    Why did you mix shellac, BLO and mineral spirits?

Did you mean to say varnish, BLO and mineral spirits?

Or were you using non-dewaxed shellac (double negative there, sorry) and hoping that somehow the mineral spirits were going to dewax the shellac?

And how long did you wait for it to dry? BLO can be pretty slow to dry depending on the wood, concentration, brand, environmental conditions, phase of the moon, etc...
    Last edited by Rob Young; 04-23-2010 at 2:29 PM.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

If you planned to stain, why would you apply a sealer coat of anything? What species of wood are you working with?

In addition to all the comments and questions about the shellac, BLO and mineral spirits, did you follow the directions on the can of stain regarding applying, let it set for 15 minutes and then wiping off the excess?
    Howie.........

Red face Messed up

Yes I screwed up. That’s what I get for trusting my memory. The mix should been VARNISH, BOL and mineral spirits this is used as a sealer coat so that the stain will apply evenly.
    Any ideas on how to recover from this.

Frank,

Still not quite right... Varnish, BLO and MS (~equal parts of each) will make an oil/varnish blend a.k.a. Danish oil. This is a finish not a sealer or pre-stain conditioner. Granted it does seal the wood; but that's not a good "seal coat".

Pre-stain conditioners or a light seal coat help some woods take stain more evenly, albeit lighter in color. White oak takes stain very well; it needs no pre-conditioning.

At this point I would suggest a chemical striper it to get the poly and the other gunk off the wood and start over.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 04-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Or you can sand it off. You'll gum up a lot of paper, but it might be less intimidating than a stripper.

Sanding is not a good way to remove old finish; ESPECIALLY if you want to stain the wood when you are finished removing the old finish...

Shawn, I would not want to even guess what the shellac, MS, BLO and then poly would leave on the surface of the table... yuck!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.