Thread: Making the shaft hole in a pulley larger

Making the shaft hole in a pulley larger

Anyone see an issue with making the shaft hole (sorry, maybe not the correct term, but you know what I mean) in a multilple pulley larger...from 1/2" to 5/8"? I wouldn't do it myself. I would take it to a machine shop to make absolute sure it was straight. But do you think that it might upset the structural integrity of it? I can't imagine it would, but...

The story behind this is that I just got an old (1947) Delta lathe. The motor on it was a replacement 1/3 hp dual 1/2" shaft motor. I am upgrading that to a 1 hp with a 5/8" shaft and would like to reuse the multiple pulley, rather than having to buy a new one.

On a side note, I couldn't easily find multiple pulleys. Anyone know where I can find them at a reasonable price? Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, I just found some on Ebay...don't know how I missed them before... But the question still stands about redrilling this one.
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 04-23-2010 at 9:09 PM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

The key way must also be machined. Buy a new one, it may run you less money.

Grainger sells them for as little as $21.10
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Common Bruce, there has to be someone out there with a metal lathe or a fancy metal DP that is willing to do this for me! Hehe...

Yeah, after finding some on Ebay, I saw the key issue. I wasn't thinking about that since the old motor has a flat spot and set screw. I'm sure the new motor will have a key...

Thanks guys.
    I drink, therefore I am.

enlarging the hole is not hard if you use the right tool. a chucking reamer will do it with just a drill press. but it would take two or three of them to get to that size so you would be better off buying a new pulley.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Mike,

Definitely have a machine shop do it. Getting the grooves and inside diameter perfectly concentric is critical for vibration-free operation. You'll obviously need to have them enlarge the hole and broach a new keyway.

As for structural integrity, aside from using your own best judgement, perhaps the machine shop can advise you. I need to have this done on my PM66 motor pulley with a 3/4" bore, but PM used the same pulley with 7/8" motor shafts as well, so I know I'm ok there.

I recently asked the same question over at OWWM. If you're looking to buy a replacement, there are a few key measurements to consider. See the post by GeeP:

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-23-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed link. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.

I would find a 3/4hp delta motor, period correct, with a 1/2" shaft.

I would not try and enlarge the bore on that cast step pulley.

But thats just me.......

There probably isn't enough wall thickness to enlarge the bore. And most certainly not enough to cut a keyway. Buy a sheave from Grainger or others.

While I understand that removing stock (metal) would weaken the pulley to some degree, we are only talking about 1/8"...1/16" in any given direction.

Bottom line, though, is that the whole key thing (which I had not thought about) kills the whole idea. I would either need to accomodate for a key, or flatten out part of the shaft for the set screws on the existing pulley. So, I'm looking at a couple new/used step pulleys now.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I think I would move in another direction here. Rather than enlarge the hole find a bushing or have one made that has a 1/16" wall thickness.
    This would eliminate the concern on weakening the pulley. Maybe one at ACE HDWE and probably less than 1.50. Another option if you have a drill press is buy a short length of 5/8" barstock and drill a 1/2" hole in it. Just drill slow and keep it cooled with cutting oil and you will waind up with a sleeve that will work. But the bushing will exist if you just look at hardware stores or bearing parts houses. In colorado we have Rocky Mtn. Bearing for example.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

find a machinist

In projects like this I will usually take the part to the local machine shop and ask the machinist with the most grease on his clothes if it would be a feasible idea. If there isn't anyone with grease on their clothes I look for the one with the grayest hair.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill