Thread: wax

wax

I would like to know of the name or type wax everyone puts on there bed ways?
    Thank You Ken.

Johnson's Paste Wax is very popular. I find it in home centers in the floor care section mostly but it can be a bit tough to find in some areas. There are purpose-designed materials like TopCoat that you can get from woodworking stores that also do a good job of keeping the surfaces slick and protected to varying degrees.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I use Johnson Paste Wax because that is what I keep in the shop for my other flatwork tools. I understand that it does not contain silicones, which can play havoc with some finishes. That wouldn't matter on the ways of your lathe, but it sure can on the tablesaw and other tools!

I use Butchers Bowling Alley Wax. Why? Because for some reason I had a can of it when I got my lathe. I have no idea when or even where I got it either. Works quite well too.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Thanks everyone for the help. Now to find it. Ken

Ken,

I use the SC Johnson paste wax and you can find it at most home improvement stores - even grocery stores. It is sold as a floor wax - so that may influence where it is located within the store.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    I just use Johnson's Paste Wax.

Johnson Paste Wax from Wally world.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I use regular old paraffin wax, mostly because I turn green wood often enough to eat through paste wax in short order. Also, I slide the headstock back and forth often enough to scrape away paste wax in little lines that rust before the rest of the bed. It just isn't worth it to me to waste the time when its going to rust the first or second time after I apply the wax. The wax for me is just to keep the headstock sliding easily! I keep a squeeze bottle of WD-40 to polish any rust with 4/0 steel wool before it has any chance to pit. I should mention too that in central VA, it stays rather moist in warm weather, which may add to my love/hate relationship with iron and rust.

I use Mineral Spirits applied with a paper towel.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.