Thread: Segmented Bowl II

Segmented Bowl II

Many of you saw my previous post of a segmented bowl that I made during a class this winter. Attached are some photos of the final bowl I made during the class. As you can tell the winter was long in Montana and I can only watch so much tv, LOL!

The bottom of the bowl is a slice of maple burl from Oregon. The rest of the bowl is mostly hard maple and figured walnut. The feature ring is walnut, maple, bloodwood, ash, birch, wenge and probably a few woods I am forgetting.

As I mentioned in the previous post, this type of woodworking is mostly about sawing, sanding, and gluing, and finally a little bit of turning.

The bowl is about 10" across and 6" deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

That is nice work. Like you said, it must have been a VERY long winter!

Wow - that's quite a few design features! Very interesting bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful!

Randy,

That's a beautiful bowl. The feature ring shows a number of different ways to put segments together, yet they all seem to go together well. The joints all appear to be tight and the woods contrast and, at the same time, go together well. Best of all, the shape of the bowl is very pleasing.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or do some of the squares in your feature ring have the grain running vertically while others have it running horizontally? If my eyes are NOT deceiving me, won't the differing grain orientations cause problems as the wood tries to move?

Looks like it was a great class. You may have mentioned it in your prior post, but where was the class, how long was the class, who taught it, etc.?

i need to take a class like that.. sweet looking bowl for sure

Patience, patience, patience.....!!!!!! Very nice, and way too complicated for me to attempt!

The amount of time and planning needed for these would probably keep me from ever starting! Looks great!

wood movement?

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Randy,

That's a beautiful bowl. The feature ring shows a number of different ways to put segments together, yet they all seem to go together well. The joints all appear to be tight and the woods contrast and, at the same time, go together well. Best of all, the shape of the bowl is very pleasing.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or do some of the squares in your feature ring have the grain running vertically while others have it running horizontally? If my eyes are NOT deceiving me, won't the differing grain orientations cause problems as the wood tries to move?

Looks like it was a great class. You may have mentioned it in your prior post, but where was the class, how long was the class, who taught it, etc.?

David:

You are correct there is wood grain going in different directions. My cabinet making background said this was a no no. But the class instructor didn't seem concerned. Interestingly, I took the bowl on a long road trip to show it off to family and friends, and it doesn't show any cracks. It was in the car at 80 degrees down to 30 degrees and different humidity, but as we all know only time will tell if it will stand the test of time.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

That's a great looking bowl... Tons of detail! I envy your patience. I'm positive that I would not be able to do something like that both for a lack of patience and a lack of skill.

WOW that is one fantastic piece, you must have a lot of patience's or a very long winter.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Thats as close to quilting as WT comes. Well done.

When I grow up I want to be able to do work that good! Man, that's nice!

Beautiful bowl Randy. The winters can be long and cold in Montana.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice looking work. I want to attempt some segmented work at some point. At our last club meeting we had a demo on seg bowls and it is amazing the amount of work that goes into one. Great job.

John