Thread: Laser purchase

Laser purchase

Dang Nab It--I dropped me hammer and smashed me laser level!

So I'm in the market for a new laser level. The last 3 years I've used the CMT 58, which shoots horizontal/vertical lines. As a small cabinet business and a weekend home addition builder, I have grown to absolutely love laser levels and can't imagine life without one.

I could just buy the same thing as a replacement and be happy as a clam during the red tide. But, I see that there are many similar products--the Bosch GLL2-50 (pictured) and Dewalt DW087K for example.

I rarely use it outdoors, and when I do, it's no trouble to plan ahead for a sunrise/sunset session to see the beam. So I'm looking for the best, cheapest, indoor product out there.

Any advice?

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 04-24-2010 at 8:18 PM.

The Dewalt is $166 and the Bosch $199. I'm drawn to the bosch, but that might be misplaced brand loyalty, since the two products look very similar.

Has anyone used any of these? Any comments appreciated!

I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet. Surely everyone has a laser level who does anything in the woodworking trade professionally???

Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet. Surely everyone has a laser level who does anything in the woodworking trade professionally???
    Well that might be true for cabinet installers ... but I think any professional installer would probably go with a better quality one than either of those. I have a leica geosystems rotating laser that I use for my business. But I totally understand not wanting to plunk down the $1500 to buy it. Those cheaper models can work ... as long as you are using them in the optimal conditions, such as a small kitchen or bath, at exactly 70 degrees, low humidity, etc. I'm not sure you can even re-calibrate those when needed, but I could be wrong. I also use my laser for setting grades on foundations, landscaping, etc. So I could justify the higher price. My brother bought me one of those cheaper lasers for christmas several years ago and when I read the specs it said it could be off by plus or minus a 1/4" over 20 feet. So back it went.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Thanks Mark,
    These all have about 1/16" accuracy for 25', which is way better than I can do with conventional levels. The CMT one I used worked as well as speced and was fine for my cabinet business, but I wouldn't want to choose one that was any worse, or could could get out of calibration easy.

Maybe I should just stick to the one I am familiar with and was happy with until it met it's untimely demise....

-Steve

I just bought the DW087 for $82.50 at Lowes and Love it.

Check it out:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...0135&t=1987024

Jesse

Inflation strikes!

In the week I spent scratching my head about lasers, the DeWalt went up 20% to $199 and the Bosch 5% to $208.

So I just ordered the CST/berger 58 for $179, since I had used one for 3 years and with no problems. (Except that it can't handle a framing hammer dropping on it while I was 12' up in the rafters...)

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 04-28-2010 at 12:48 PM.

I have a PLS 180, love it used it for about 4 years now. Also can get the optional outdoor sensor bout never really needed yet but it is there if I want it. The dewalt and bosch where not out yet when I bought it so I can not compaire. But the accuarcy has been good with this. I have seen some others be a bit sticky and go off line.
    http://www.plslaser.com/
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I have a PLS 180, love it used it for about 4 years now. Also can get the optional outdoor sensor bout never really needed yet but it is there if I want it. The dewalt and bosch where not out yet when I bought it so I can not compaire. But the accuarcy has been good with this. I have seen some others be a bit sticky and go off line.
    http://www.plslaser.com/
    I agree with you about the PLS 180. I have one too and love it. I've used it in shade outdoors and indoors. It offers a lot of "bang for the buck".

Yep, the PLS was definitely on the short list. 180degrees would be nice, as opposed to the 130 degrees of the CST, but not quite worth the extra $100 to me. Accuracy seems about the same.

I mainly do cabinets and 130 degrees has never been a problem, even for U shaped kitchens.

But if I did more carpentry other than my addition project, I think the ability to plumb from ceiling to floor in tight quarters to the laser would make the PLS180 a must, if not a rotary style laser.

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 04-28-2010 at 7:22 PM.