Thread: HTC 2000 and Ridgid Jointer Owners

Question HTC 2000 and Ridgid Jointer Owners

I recently purchased the htc mobile base for my new ridgid jointer (orange model). If anyone else has this combo: did you bolt the jointer to the htc frame or if you secured it another way how did you do it? It seems relatively stable on the base but I'd like to make it more secure. Basically I have the jointer on there now, but will have to remove it to make the adjustments and if the holes don't line up my help is seriously going to get fed up with constantly helping me move the jointer. Thank you as always.

Mine just rests inside the base and I haven't had any problems.

Since the long dimension of the jointer base is pretty much exactly the same as one of the hole combinations I think I actually had to assemble the base around the jointer but it is a perfect fit and does not move on the base.

Not quit sure what you're saying, Matt, but all my machines that are on the htc bases just rest on them with nothing to secure them. They all work just fine: they roll around when I want them to, and they stay stationary when I want them to. Never had a problem. I don't understand what the mobile base has to do with making adjustments to your jointer. Could you be a little more clear what the problem is.
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 04-24-2010 at 10:14 PM.

I built my own mobile base for my Rigid jointer and it just rests on it. I had heard people say to bolt it down and then weight the base with a sand bag because the jointer is top heavy but I have had no problems with stability at all.

I have this setup, I removed the rubber feet from the jointer and bolted through the legs into the base. Very stable and no problems when moving it around the shop...

Pat, that's exactly what I was referring to, it's seems like the holes in the base should line up with the holes on the jointer legs.

Vince, I was referring to the base with the adjustments, because I would have to unbolt some of it to make it larger, thus having to take the jointer off again. I'm not having any problems with the jointer, other than the fact that it's heavy and a bear to move.

I've heard complaints of it being top heavy, so that was the reason I went with the htc base because it lifts the jointer less than an inch off the ground. I just want to make sure I've got a safe setup for my operation. Thankyou for your responses.

HTC's universal mobile bases are adjustable to fit the footprint of many machines. If holes line up, you are just lucky! I have never bolted any machine to it's mobile base; but do, however, put pieces of 1/4" rubber under each corner to dampen metal to metal vibration.

Your Ridgid 6" jointer is fairly small as machines go. And, you already complain about it's weight! Consider a tall 20" bandsaw on a mobile stand. They don't tip! I figure if a machine would tend to tip over, it would on it's own without any mobile base under it. Of course, if it will make you sleep better, bolt the jointer to the base and load the base down with a sandbag or some scrap iron.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I bolted mine down. At the same time I also raised it. Brought it up 4 inches. Made it a little more comfortable to use.

I know I shouldn't complain about the weight it just gets tedious taking it on and off the stand. I have nothing on you guys with the big machinery. Lol. Thanks for the additional responses.

I have the same combo. I bolted 2 layers of 17"x6.5" 3/4" plywood on each end to the mobile base and the jointer to the plywood. Now when I move it around, it doesn't feel tipsy.