Thread: Gloat...Flea Market finds.

Talking Gloat...Flea Market finds.

Hello fellow Creekers,

I'm not entirely sure that the following is gloatworthy, but i'm really excited about my finds...I guess that's really what it's all about. I snagged a Bailey no. 4c with beautiful Rosewood handle and knob...not quite sure about the BOB-JAC iron business, but hey. Next, I found the smoothest running eggbeater I've ever came across. I can't quite make out the brand...the crank has New York and Germany stamped on it, along with an arch of words that have been worn too much to decipher. Down the isle to the next cluster of tools, I spot a D-8??? rip saw with skewed back that was dead straight with a nice two-handed handle w/thumbhole and philida medallion. I'm really excited now...after seeing it priced at 3 dollars. What i find next nearly gives me a heart attack, because i've looked for one for years...that i could afford. yep, there is a god. I finally found a beautiful Disston Model 3D saw vise with a good tight cam. The final bill on everything...27.50. I just had to tell someone about this and my Significant Other hates when I bombard her with tool stuff. Thanks for being great listeners. Lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " It requires less effort to take one step forward than to take one step forward, one step back, then one step forward."

Quote Originally Posted by Walter McGuire View Post
    Hello fellow Creekers,

I'm not entirely sure that the following is gloatworthy

No that qualify's for a much higher YOU SUCK worthy.

Nice finds!!
    Last edited by Mark Buchanan; 04-25-2010 at 6:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Awesome finds! Beats my Clamp score IMO.
    That is the exact saw that I have that Belonged to My G Great Grandfather that I made the handle for... looks to be the same age and everything... the handle on yours looks perfect.

The Baily looks great and the saw vice is a great find, I have never seen one in the wild. At those prices I would be careful of the cops
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I bought one of those saws on our classifieds. Paid more than $3.00,though,still a good deal. My friend Jon was looking for one for years. I gave it to him. He's done a million favors for me.

Good Gloat

Definitely gloatworty. I have a couple thumb hole Disstons and I really like them a lot. The hand plane looks to be in excellent condition too. Now that you you have a saw vise you need to find a saw joiner and a saw set and you're in the sharpening business; as well as being much further down the slope. Great finds and you suck.

Lucky guy! Those are great finds.

Blog Entries
    What, no picture of the egg beater? Didn't happen…

Nice gloat worthy finds.

The plane has caught my attention. The blade and the lever cap do not seem to match. The blade looks like it may be older than the rest of the plane.

Not sure, for the price you paid for it all, you've done better than most of us have for a long time.

Yep, that is worth one big YOU SUCK!!!

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-25-2010 at 1:35 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ya did good

I think I need to start looking where you did.

Eggbeater Picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What, no picture of the egg beater? Didn't happen...
    Yeah...myself and the pic uploader on SMC butted heads. I resized the picture using editing software and i think is cause the picture to be rejected, as all of the unedited images popped just fine. I'll be adding pics of it when i can find enough time to do so. I'd really like to know who made this little guy, so i'm going to make an attempt at some macro photography as well...so you can see what i'm able to see.

Oh, btw
    I think you're right about the iron...i noticed it was odd when i bought it, but since it was destined to become a user, i paid it no mind.

Thanks for all the 'YOU SUCK's. It feels nice to be on the other side of that one for a change.
    " It requires less effort to take one step forward than to take one step forward, one step back, then one step forward."