Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #32 - Thin Stemmed Tulip - A Study in Fragility!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I am still learning this stuff.
    John your work is truly amazing, each new piece is more spectacular then the last. Your work raises the bar for us mere mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have enjoyed doing the lidded pieces, as they seem to give me an opportunity to do all the different cuts - bowl turning and spindle turning. And, I would have to admit, I really enjoy the spindle stuff!!

This piece was conceived to be a part of the 2010 art challenge that Roland Martin suggested. However, I wanted to go on with it and I wasn't sure the challenge was going to gain ground.

It was also intended to be a personal challenge for me and an exercise in fine tool control on the spindle work - thank the good Lord for my lighted magnifier!
    Attachment 149094Attachment 149095Attachment 149096
    Big Leaf Maple Burl (from Mike Smith again!) and African Blackwood. The dimensions are 10.75" tall to the tip, 4.75" tall to the top of the stem, and the finial is 2.75" tall. At the rim, the cup is 3.75" wide.

The neck of the stem, in both places, is .09". The neck of the finial is .07". Both are sanded to 2000, and waxed only.

The tulip and lid have a WOP/BLO mix for the first coat, a wash coat of shellac, and several coats of spray on Deft gloss. Then they were rubbed out to a soft sheen.

PLEASE DO NOT SNEEZE WHILE VIEWING!!! This sucker weighs near nothing!

This is certainly not a functional piece, and to those folks that don't like the artsy stuff, I apologize in advance! And, if you don't like it, please feel free to tell me what you would do different - I am still learning this stuff.
    My sincere apologies John, and all others for dropping the ball on getting the challenge going. I've way over-scheduled my workload @ the shop and have been paying the price, a minimum of 70 hrs./wk. I will do my best to get this going soon.

John, I have the utmost respect in your artistic abilities and your obvious turning abillities. This is an absolutely lovely piece with incredible delicate details that all come together exquisitely. The wood combination and finish are also fabulous. If I feel a sneeze coming on, I promise to log off quickly

John your progression in this spinny stuff has been amazing to watch. Gorgeous well thought out piece. Gotta say I love the colors too...Bill..

WOW . is all i can say .

John,
    I'm not a turner so I don't visit this section. I sure am happy I chose today to look. Your turning is delicate and your mix and match of woods is just plain visionary.
    butch

Beautiful piece. It is very well balanced to me, and I love the wood combination. The finial work is very nice, and I appreciate your enthusiasm for and progress in the art of fine finials.

Not a criticism but a harmless thought... I wonder what this piece would look like with a bit more outward flare near the lip of the 'tulip'? I love it as is, but I find myself looking at the work of others and wondering what I might do differently or how changes to a piece would effect the overall look.

I've begun to double down on my anti-depressants before opening your project threads... I've been turning much longer, but I'll probably never produce anything that looks like that.

Wow!!! What an incredible piece!!!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

John:
    You really achieve a 'wow' factor with your turnings. I enjoy spending time on here looking at your work. Of course everyone else's stuff ain't too shabby either!

Michael

fantastic piece!

This is probably just me, but does anyone think the pedestal is just a little disproportionate, just seems to go from big to too small a bit too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    fantastic piece!

This is probably just me, but does anyone think the pedestal is just a little disproportionate, just seems to go from big to too small a bit too quickly.
    I thought I'd read through the comments, see what everyone else thought before I posted. This is 100% high octane pure eye candy. Absolutely beautiful. But if there was anything that might possibly improve it, and again I say might and possibly, it would be a slightly larger base on the pedestal. I'm seeing something similar to what Alex has pointed out. Photo angles can cause the proportions to appear different than they really are though. I'd love to see and hold this one in my hand. This is one of the best turnings I've seen in a while.

I'm not qualified to even comment on this. It looks great. Forget sneezing when looking - I would have worried about the pressure applying the spray finish, and more so the WOP/BLO initial finish. Great piece.

Very nice work John. Agree that the base could be a tad larger and the pedestal could be a tad shorter for better overall balance, but still an excellent piece. Shows what can be achieved in a relatively short time when one tries hard and works at it (IMO).
    Richard in Wimberley

Absolutely beautiful John. Really well done. I think this has to be my favorite piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Speechless again---Ain't life grand!

You done good there John! You're doing incredible work.