Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Rookie with Grizzly gO555 enroute

Thumbs down A Rookie with Grizzly gO555 enroute

I am excited after exhaustive reviews and watching these forums to be expecting my first real woodworking power tool a Grizzly g0555. I am submitting my first post seeking the wisdom of the many experts. I have seen in many places that I should discard the stock blade with this band saw and order a better one. But looking on Grizzly's site and others the options seem unending. I just have some small oak boards (3-4 inches wide) that I might resaw for small starting out projects. Beyond that just a lot standard cuts. What widths, brands and types should I order to have on hand for my newby shop.

Thanks any and all for your help.

You bought a decent saw. Congrats. As far as blades I have 3, 14" bandsaws and the 2 standard ones get .25" and the one with the riser gets .5" although I've considered getting .25's for it also.

Brand is your pick. I don't have a favorite. They all seem to last about the same.

Hi Steve, I'd start with a 1/4" 6TPI blade and a 1/2" 3 TPI blade for ripping and re-sawing.

Don't buy retail blades, find an industrial saw supplier in your area and order custom made blades for your saw.

They will be cut to length and welded for you.

In addition to providing a much better selection of blade material, tooth profile and pitch, they will be less expensive and better than pre-packaged retail blades.

Have fun with your new saw............Regards, Rod.

Question

Thanks Mark!
    I really am going to show my ignorance here but by .25 and .50 can I assume you are saying 1/4 and 1/2 inch "wide"? All the sites for selling blades also have multiple teeth configurations. Is there a standard fare?

The two brands to look at are Timberwolf and Wood Slicer. I've always used the Timberwolf brand and have no complaints. They're light years ahead of the blade that came with your saw. You can get them from Grizzly, Woodcraft, other retailers or even the manufacturer, Suffolk Machinery.

1/4" is a good all-around size. Something with about 4 TPI I'd say.

You can resaw with just about any blade if it is tensioned right, but I'd look at a 1/2" 3 TPI for that. That saw won't be able to properly tension a 3/4" blade in my experience. Get something with hook teeth that'll clear the sawdust down out of the cut in a hurry.

The best money you can spend aside from a good blade is to get a book on bandsaws. There is so much you can do with them, but if they don't work right (usually user's fault) they'll frustrate you endlessly. I have Lonnie Bird's book and it is a good one.

You chose a good saw.

Thanks Rod, regrettably I do not have an industrial saw suppliers in my area (eastern Iowa) that I am aware of. Any on line that I could use? Would those on Grizzly site be recommended ( I realize these would not be custom).

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Steve, I'd start with a 1/4" 6TPI blade and a 1/2" 3 TPI blade for ripping and re-sawing.

Don't buy retail blades, find an industrial saw supplier in your area and order custom made blades for your saw.

They will be cut to length and welded for you.

In addition to providing a much better selection of blade material, tooth profile and pitch, they will be less expensive and better than pre-packaged retail blades.

Have fun with your new saw............Regards, Rod.

Riser block?

If you're planning to add a riser block but don't have it yet, I wouldn't buy too many blades. The stock saw takes 93"(?) blades, with the riser block it's 105". I agree with the 1/4" & 1/2" blades for general use. Sorry if I missed anything.

Yes I have seen recommendations on that book and it is ordered. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    The two brands to look at are Timberwolf and Wood Slicer. I've always used the Timberwolf brand and have no complaints. They're light years ahead of the blade that came with your saw. You can get them from Grizzly, Woodcraft, other retailers or even the manufacturer, Suffolk Machinery.

1/4" is a good all-around size. Something with about 4 TPI I'd say.

You can resaw with just about any blade if it is tensioned right, but I'd look at a 1/2" 3 TPI for that. That saw won't be able to properly tension a 3/4" blade in my experience. Get something with hook teeth that'll clear the sawdust down out of the cut in a hurry.

The best money you can spend aside from a good blade is to get a book on bandsaws. There is so much you can do with them, but if they don't work right (usually user's fault) they'll frustrate you endlessly. I have Lonnie Bird's book and it is a good one.

You chose a good saw.

I just got some Lenox Dimaster's for my new 555. I ended up getting the:

.5" X 105" 3H
    .25" X 105" 6H
    .25" X 105" 10/14

Nice little assortment from general use to detail work.

http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm

Steve,

Make this easy on yourself. Call Suffolk Machinery http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ tell them what band saw you have and what you are intending to do and they will recommend a blade(s). They also have the buy 3 get one free deal going.

Suffolk will also keep your order on file if you want to duplicate it in the future. They are good, knowledgeable folks there.

There are good, knowledgeable folks here, too, but you will get so many different and varied options that you will probably just be confused.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

11. I'm kind of disappointed.. I saw the "thumbs down" icon and thought I was going to be able to read a good rant.

Good luck with your new saw. I use Timberwolf blades, and I am happy with them.

This is a helpful video for getting acquainted with the bandsaw.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/bandsaw-setup-tuneup/

I got the same model bandsaw a few months back and have been enjoying it. I'd recommend getting a blade honing stone and removing the burrs on the back of your blades. This reduces much of the burning of the stock blade and actually makes it usable - at least for practice purposes.

Steve you bought a nice saw. I have had one for about a year and 1/2 and it has done everything I need it too. I will suggest buying a 5/8" sheer force blade from laguna for resawing. It is hands down better than any other blade I have used for that purpose. I have used a 3/4 from suffolk that they recomended and the woodslicer from highland. I don't think you will find a better steel blade than the laguna. The only reason I tried it was the special they had BOGO about a year ago. Sufflok makes some decent blades for general work but laguna has the market cornered when it comes to resaw blades for 14" saws if you ask me. Good luck with the saw.

Just remember... carbide tipped blades and 14" BS is ok, carbide blades and 14" bandsaw, no good. But, if you call a place (like suffolk) they will steer you correctly.

So sorry about that. I am so new at this and punched in the wrong icon. Worried then I would insulting someone. Thanks for recommendation. Looking now for a local source for Timberwolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed.. I saw the "thumbs down" icon and thought I was going to be able to read a good rant.

Good luck with your new saw. I use Timberwolf blades, and I am happy with them.