Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

26 April 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

It's been a very busy week both at work and at home. The first thing I'd like to do is offer my prayers for those that have been hard hit by the recent severe storms in both Mississippi and Alabama. My heart goes out to all those family that lost loved ones in the tornado's.

Been working at the day job a good bit and I have been working a lot on my honey-do list around here at the house. The other thing that's taking a good bit of my time is my dad's cancer treatments and trying to help my dad and mom by checking up on them, offering to travel there to help them as they need me, and just wondering why about a lot of things. My dad has now finished radiation treatments and nothing has improved. Now they are planning on starting chemo treatments maybe some time next week.

To top it all off, my daughter graduates the 15th of May and we are busy with all that's involved for her graduation.

No woodworking for me this time....just gardening and yard work that did involve moving some wood to the wood pile.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Went and bought and tried out my new toyl (Stihl string trimmer with brush cutting head) and cleaned up the old trimmer for sale. Flushed the antifreeze from the water system on the camper, reinstalled the water filter, and tried to get the water heater up and running. I think the thermocouple needs cleaning or replacement so I need to tackle that this week. Yesterday it rained--hard--all day so I spent several hours in the shop putting away the piles of tools that have gotten dumped on the benches over the past few weeks working on yard and other projects around the house. But first I turned 5 pieces of trim intended for the basement door we had installed over the winter into kindling after mis-measuring them. For future reference when you take measurements off the door jambs, those measurements become the INSIDE dimensions of the casing, not the OUTSIDE dimensions--argh!

Rain Delay here too

We probably had the same front as Matt here in Chicago. Lots of rain this weekend, so not much outside work to do unless you planned on getting wet in the process. Planted some flowers in the front flower box of the house, the big 8 foot one that sits on two support stones coming out of the brick in the front.
    I often wonder how many more years I'll be able to pick it up off those support stones, full of dirt and heavy, without any help and place it back by myself as well.
    Moved all the garden stuff back into place now that our masonary crew is done with replacing concrete in both the front and back of the house while they've moved on to the tuckpointing part of the work. Cussed them out again[in my mind] for letting the concrete saw spray get over everything in the back yard, and then they didn't wash it off. So, it dried that nice lime color/deposit like a very dirty rain hit.
    Corrected the next door neighbors back-yard garden edging stone issue caused by a much younger member of our family not finishing the job she paid him to do. Nieces' son was hired to pull weeds[last year!] and rake a garden back into shape. He neglected to put all the concrete edging blocks back into a nice straight line , left them lying flat and in disarray[for a whole year]. Not good, and I couldn't get him to come back and finish things, so I took matters into my own hands and put a straight line out on Saturday, dug and placed them in a nice, even row again.
    Sometimes, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself, esp. when relatives are involved!
    Replaced both of our dryer vents with new galvanized vents.
    Put some sandpaper away in my shop that I had ordered for some of my sanders, also put away things from a Rockler order[they're so far way from me, I tend to order on-line from them instead of driving many miles to get to the store]
    Swept up more masonary crew debris, and made measurements to replace some outdoor carpet on our back steps /landing area that they had to pull up while replaced the concrete steps down into the basement
    Looked over the new exterior front door that's hiding in our basement, waiting to replace the rusted steel door currently out front. Noted how much money we spent on the house over the last 6 months, and how badly the house needed all this work.
    Sunday, way too much rain for any outdoor work, plus I covered everything I need to do on Saturday when it wasn't so bad.

I've been working in Houston lately and coming home for the weekends. We had some rain from that storm system early Saturday morning but by noon the skies were clear. It was an absolutely gorgeous weekend after that with a nice Northerly breeze, low humidity and moderate temps.

I mowed our two acres, transplanted some Irises, cleaned the pool and played with the grandson. We had some friends come up from San Antonio and grilled some steaks Saturday evening.

Late Sunday afternoon, I even got in a wee bit of shop time and turned a small bowl.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Took advantage of the good weather Cody brought us and mowed a couple acres, cleaned and serviced the pool, help the wife haul around some landscaping, smoked two briskets and got the sink functioning again after the granite was installed last week.

On top of all that, worked quite a bit in the shop on finishing up the kitchen island.

Sure feels good to get back to work so I can sit down.

Watched it rain and that's about it. No work in the shop. Put grass seed down and weed and feed on Friday so it could water itself in over the weekend to save me some on my water bill

Just a lazy weekend around the house. Kinda needed it, but now I have a ton to do this week and upcoming weekend. yay...
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Sort of woodworking for me. As I was preparing the raised bed veggie garden, I discovered that some of the boxes were more like compost than wood. I spend Saturday making 8 new boxes...now if I could only get them installed.

Everyone have a great week!!!

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Worked Sat am at work. After lunch went out for a new belt and some supplies for the shop and sprinkler system. Cut out all the major pieces for the cabinet under the TS extension table. Sunday, milled all the parts. Started assembly. got to the point of needing to cut around the DC ducting and thought about knocking off for the day. Decided to go for it. Got it cut, put the cabinet in place, then it dawned on me....I had the cabinet set in backwards when I marked it. Dirty words, Dirty words. I was so mad at myself. (Where's the head slap emoticon when I need it most???) I needed to get another sheet of ply to finish anyway, so time is all I lost. Just need to remember to put it in the right way to mark for the cut this next time. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, do you ever get a weekend off working on your sprinklers?