Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to spend $400?

The HD in Roseville, MI has one r4511 in stock for $399, maybe you could talk them down. I've heard good things about it and people seem to be happy with them and you get the lifetime service agreement. Good luck.

Another thought is that 6 to 8 hours a week is relatively heavy usage for most hobbyists. You might be well served by saving up til you can spend around 600 and pick up a heavy duty used cabinet saw from the classifieds here or craigslist.

I would get a used contractor saw, stay away from benchtops.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

Smile Benchtop was neve a consideration.

Thanks Jeff. I agree. I have used a contractors saw (albeit an underpowered one) for too long to ever go to a benchtop model.

Also I talked directly to the main Manager of my Home Depot, and he said that he never honors the HF 20% off coupons. He is going to check and see if he can make a better deal and he took my name and number. It may mean nothing, but he offered--something that has never happened to me before.

I was blessed to have my saw given to me, but I have seen them on CL for as low as $150. Its a (roughly) 20 year old Craftsman, 2hp contractors saw. I am not under the impression that this is an amazing saw, but for my novice skills and the price tag, its a great deal. Also, frees me up to spend $300 on a miter gauge and fence. All in all i feel like having a flat cast iron top, 2hp, solid fence and accurate miter gauge is a good start. All that to say, keep in mind what kind of fence and miter gauge are with your purchase and if you'll want to upgrage anyway.

6. http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/1707837776.html

ITs a drive, but for $275, there is a Powermatic 12inch.... Needs a motor, and probably some derusting(it says TLC)... But hey... its a Powermatic...and its 12in...

This is off of the Ridgid Forum website...

Re: 4511 back in stock 399.00?...YES IT IS!!
    To confirm, yes, the R4511 saw is back in stock here in Maryland at $399. I was in the Rockville saw and ran into the rep and asked him if they are coming back.

The rep stated, that actually, another store (Germantown) just got 3 this morning (yesterday)! He was shocked himself because he had just found out a short time ago that Home Depot was bringing them back into stock.

Ironically, I just got my refund from Uncle Sam and ran to the store and picked one up at $399 and was able to use the 10% off Lowes coupon. Couldn't have been better timing!

FYI, your best bet is to call your store and have them look up the SKU# 750-663 and check whether they are in stock and also check whether they have any on order.

If you have a friendly associate, they will look to see what other stores have them on order in your area and when they expect them.

In Maryland, I know Frederick and Hagerstown stores have them coming as well.

Hold out

If you really can hold out, do so. I had the older ridgid, it was ok. I watched and waited until a local cabinetmaker decided to upgrade to a sawstop and listed his 1023 with 2 sets of rails, a router wing, and upgraded 5 hp motor on CL for $550. I couldn't be happier. I have the power to slice though whatever I can imagine and it never struggles at all; something the ridgid did a lot.

Like another poster said, 6-8hrs/week is a lot for a hobby and I'd bet you'll soon find yourself wanting more than the R4511 can give you.

Best of luck!

Randall, I have had the Ridgid 3612 the predecessor of the one you are looking at, for 8 years, it has been worth every penny I paid for it and more! I personally wouldn't have a problem dropping $399 on that saw and never think twice about it. CL is hit or miss, around here everyone thinks their POS rusted top,beat to heck, job site saw, is worth $500 bucks. Me I have never regretted my purchase of my Ridgid saw, it has served me flawlessly! Of course, if I didn't have to have a saw that was completely mobile, due to my small workspace, I would definitely spend my money differently. If you have the space, I would save up for a cabinet saw. If I had the available space (in the future maybe) I would be saving my pennies right now for a Euro slider. I have never had a single problem with my saw though so I can't complain. It has worked hard and held up with a nice blade, and everything adjusted, I have never had it bog down. Of course I have never forced the feed rate either.
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 04-29-2010 at 12:02 AM.

If it's the Ridgid you're after, another option is to look for a Direct Tools store at a nearby outlet mall. They handle Ridgid and other power tool refurbs from HD.

As much as I would like to wait for a 3hp or better cabinet saw for $400.00 within a modest driving distance, I'm not sure I would have the eye to know if it was worth the money. I know enough to look for a cracked trunion. I can tell whether or not the motor is smooth running and if the fence is tight. I do however have a small shop, 14x30. And I think if I had a cabinet saw and a good wing I would have to get rid of something. I am already trying to sell my scroll saw on CL--I just don't use it. I am almost giving away an old craftsman RAS. But I still have room issues. I am surprised that I have not heard one negative from a R4511 owner. For a non-cabinet, non 3hp or better saw, I find that notable.

Hmmm, how would I spend $400... well a table saw wouldn't come to mind, but a two word answer starting with table might...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I bought the R4511

I went ahead and bought the R4511 from Home Depot. With a 10% off coupon it cost $360.00 plus tax. I figure if it doesn't turn out to be what I need I can sell it for at least that amount. (by the way, the Port Huron HD has one more for $399).

I liked what people said on several different forums concerning this saw. I haven't read anything negative about this saw. I have been waiting about two years for something good to show up on CL or other avenues for a good used cabinet saw, but I haven't been able to locate anything like that, and I don't even think my 14 x 30 shop could handle a saw that big.

I will let you guys know how the "putting together" part goes. Thank you for your helpful input.

Mike, I don't think I want to know where your $400.00 is going . . .

Way to go Randall! Not sure what kind of TS you had before, but the R4511 should serve well for a long time.
    There is plenty of online support for assembly if you need help... unless they changed something, the instructions are horrible!!
    Good luck and let us know how you make out when complete with the assembly!

HOW did I miss this thread last week!??!

The best way to spend that $400 is to just send it to me. Just send me an email and I'll give you my address.

And thanks. I really needed it.