Thread: Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Hi:

This question is for any Veterinarian on the forum or anyone who breeds Chesapeake Bay Retrievers:

1. What is the rate of Hip Displaysia in Chesapeakes?

2. How far back in the OFA records should a person look when choosing a Chesapeake Bay Retriever?

3. what other health problems are common in the breed?

The reason I am asking is because my black Labrador Retriever is going to be 17 years old next month and I would like to know what the other breeds are like, when it comes time to get another dog.

Thanks,

Bob

Don't own a Chessie (a GSD owner for many years) but check out

http://www.chesapeakes.net/health/

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/F.../chesinfo.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chesapeakebay.htm

My next door neighbor did own one that had a dysplasia problem after about 7 or 8 years. This was pre-OFA availablity. You might want to check the OFA site to see if they have recommendations for Chessie http://www.offa.org/
    Dan McLaughlin

Dan, Bob has some good sites there to look at. I'd include going to www.akc.org go the the Breed Club section, and get a link to the National Chessie Club's site. There you should find some information, or at least some one to e-mail that will be knowledgeable on the subject. I have had Irish Setters for 25 years, and know our parent club does a wonderful job on health issues. From what we've been able to tell, HD is probably a combination of genetics and environment. We had an Irish that we were planning to breed back in the 80's. Long time breeders were dismayed when we did her OFA's and she came back displastic. We didn't breed her. But years later, she could still flat foot a 4' chainlink fence!
    Congrats on getting your Lab to 17!!! That's a wonderful feat for a big dog. Shows how well loved and taken care of your dog has been! We feel lucky getting our current oldie to 14.5. Good luck with your searches. If you consider a rescue dog, let me know and I can send you some Lab rescue contacts. Jim.

Jim:

I also had Irish Setters for about 12 years. My father and grandfather all had English Setters years ago. This was back between 1930's to the mid 1960's . I was reading on the Irish Setter website that the breed has been dealing with the problem of epilepsy. Do you know how long that has been in the Irish Setters? I had an Irish Setter that was born in 1975 and started having seizures in 1981. They started out of nowhere. Don't know what caused it. Do you know if it is inherited? Also, I remember something about a Red & White Irish Setter, are they the same as a red Irish Setter?

Thanks,

Bob.

My wife and I have bred and raised Chessies off and on for 25 years........unfortunately we have had mixed results with HD and OFA certification in the Chessies we raised. Here's what we have learned over the years.....

Even when the pedigree looks pretty clean, it is still vital to have hips checked before making ANY plans to breed.

Do not buy a pup unless both parents have OFA certs.

From our experience, Chessies are not a long-lived breed.....a 12 year old Chesapeake is an old dog. From our experience, they tend to be arthritic (different from HD) as they get older.

Their coats can be problematic (in summer especially). Their undercoat is more wool-like than anything, and tends to be too warm.

Chessies are very thrifty and tough mentally and physically......they are made for outdoor living year-around, but do alright inside. They thrive on exercise and would rather swim than walk.

Common misconception is that Chessies are not great family dogs.....wrong. Bitches with pups can get a little protective, but our fixed males have been excellent around children.

We currently have one fixed male, spoiled rotten and under-hunted. A great dog with a flawless disposition. We take him everywhere.....on long vacations he is usually the best traveler of the whole bunch. He loves the coast.....he will fetch in heavy surf until your arm is tired of throwing dummies.

HTH

AG

I don't have the statistics you're looking for, but others have pointed you in the right direction for that, and you've seen some info from a long-time breeder. I have had two Chessies, and I think they're great dogs. The coat problems kind of surprise me. Neither of mine had issues with heat in summer, and I live in Fort Worth, TX. In fact, they have both done better than my Labs ever did.

They are GREAT family dogs, even un-neutered males. The one thing you have to watch out for is that they can be very protective, and it is hard for kids and small people of all ages to control them when that happens. I can't let my daughter walk mine because he has snapped at people (especially men) - just being protective.

12 years is old for a Chessie, and my first one was arthritic at the end. He still wanted to go, though. Best dog I have ever owned. The current one is great, with lots of personality, and the most broadly vocal dog I've ever owned. He is not a big barker, but he makes the most amazing variety of sounds I've ever heard from a dog. Not the hunter the first one was, but I'm not the hunter I was then, either.

Hope you can find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    Jim:

I also had Irish Setters for about 12 years. My father and grandfather all had English Setters years ago. This was back between 1930's to the mid 1960's . I was reading on the Irish Setter website that the breed has been dealing with the problem of epilepsy. Do you know how long that has been in the Irish Setters? I had an Irish Setter that was born in 1975 and started having seizures in 1981. They started out of nowhere. Don't know what caused it. Do you know if it is inherited? Also, I remember something about a Red & White Irish Setter, are they the same as a red Irish Setter?

Thanks,

Bob.
    Bob, the dreaded Big E. Been there, done that, shed a lot of tears. This disease is a heatbreaker. Hard to tell for sure at this point, but our best guess is that certain lines are more likely to produce pups that seizure. Our first true show dog started with seizures at about the age of 2. We were lucky that a good friend we met while showing, was a trained Vet, tho never practiced. We would bounce things off of her, and she would give suggestions to try, things to test, etc. We finally found with our boy, that the triggering of a seizure, which only happened about every 8 to 12 weeks, was triggered when several things happened. First, he had alergies. Second he had auto-immune difficiencies (sp?). Third, he was being stressed when we had him out showing. Fourth, my wife, who normally is home, would have to go to a music convention every year, and be gone for 5 days. You could count on a seizure about 2 days after she got back. We treated his allergy problems with Benedryl, Vit E, and aspirin...something about the combination of each of these help each to work better. We cooked rice and liver for him. Cut out all the corn that is SO big content wise of all the major dry dog foods. He went for about 8 years without a seizure. We were even able to finish his championship. We feel his were not true epilepsy. To this day, our Vet will sent off for Immunity testing anytime he gets a seizuring dog because of the success we had with ours. So many only put the dogs on drugs that mask any other symptoms, and get labeled as epilepsy simply because they couldn't find the true cause. In fact, our Vet friend says it's only Idopathic Epilepsy because the Idiot could find the problem!

Sorry, long story. Red and White Setters are what the Irish Setter originally was. Irish were bred for the red color because of choice. Irish Red and Whites are making a comeback. There is a National club trying to get the breed recognized by the AKC. They are slightly smaller that todays show irish. It's a long process. Hope this helps. I've got to get back to work. Let me know if I can help any other way. Jim.

Bob,

We have a lab and collie, both registered, but now that they are both going on eight I worry more and more about health problems especially those common to over breading etc... Our next dog will be a mutt. We have a small local no-kill shelter and they often have year old lab mix dogs. We have had many friends adopt dogs like this with great results. Our dogs are wonderful especially with a 5 and 2 year old, but I really don't see the point of a registered dog, unless you really need one, hunt, or show dogs as a hobby. I had a good friend with a Chessie, great dog, but died to soon.

My 2 cents - John

I have owned chessies all my life. Like most retreivers they are very prone to cancers esp females (from exp) They are awesome dogs and very loving. Their backs are kinda bristly and not a joy to pet, but their heads are soft. I do recommend getting the medium sized green or pink "porcupine" toys, they will love it and carry it all over. very stimulating to the gums. get then near water and well, you'll have a very hard time keeping them out. I would go back as far as possible to avoid long lines of inbreeding. All in all an excellent dog. I am thinking of getting one when I move.