Thread: #65 use or misuse?

#65 use or misuse?

I have been enjoying the #65 knuckle-cap block plane I picked up on ebay but was wondering if anyone uses one of these (or similar block plane) for shooting miters? I've tried to use it on my just completed shooting board and it either takes too deep a cut and can't be pushed through the cut or it won't cut at all (in curly maple). It worked ok in some thin fur but it was still a fine line for depth adjustment.
    Iron is sharp and the plane works great for everything else. Is it just not a heavy enough plane for shooting miters?
    Jeff

I use a much heavier plane for shooting. I would think the 65 would be a bit too small and too light for that application, except for very small stock.

A #5, #6, or #7 bench plane would probably work better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Agreed that the plane is too small to be truley effective and accurate. It really isn't the cut depth that is the issue but more about the lack of mass behind the cut. I would look into a BU Jack plane if you're having trouble with end grain and a standard bench plane (#4-#8). There are times where my block plane gets the call on the shooting board but it is usually for softer woods, certainly not maple.