Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone app?

iPhone app?

Anybody know of an iPhone app that works with this website? I downloaded one that's supposed to work with vBulletin, but it doesn't seem to work with sawmillcreek.org.

Jason

Safari works fine...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Safari works fine...
    Not with long threaded comments. The top window showing the overview of threading doesn't move for me, so often with multiple page threads, I can only see a bit of it. For some reason, on those same threads, the page numbering seems to be absent as well...

For as much time as I spend on here reading and gathering information I have found that the iPhone works pretty good for this site. Its not exactly easy but if your determined to read the latest post on ... I have managed so far

That said I would love a dedicated one ... would even pitch in to help it to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Not with long threaded comments. The top window showing the overview of threading doesn't move for me, so often with multiple page threads, I can only see a bit of it. For some reason, on those same threads, the page numbering seems to be absent as well...

Change the display mode (top right) to "Linear mode"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Change the display mode (top right) to "Linear mode"
    I'm not saying there isn't a way around it. But the point is that threaded comments don't work. That is a bug with the iPhone's browser presumably, since the site works with other standardized browsers.

B'sides, I don't really like linear mode.

It's not unusual for web sites to not work perfectly on mobile devices. Many sites load a mobile version by default so you don't get the full site like you would when using a desktop browser. You are correct in that threaded mode does not work well. You might want to submit either a bug report or a feedback note to Apple on this but you may need to wait for a cold day in you know where before it's "fixed". Maybe it will work better when Apple releases the new iPhone OS. BTW, this is by no means the only site that is buggy on the iPhone!

BTW, there are other browser options for the iPhone. Unfortunately, Mozilla has opted out of developing an iPhone browser for the time being so no Firefox for iPhone. Here's a few links...

http://www.macworld.com/appguide/art...article=138409
    http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2010/...one-app-store/
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 04-27-2010 at 1:07 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Anybody know of an iPhone app that works with this website? I downloaded one that's supposed to work with vBulletin, but it doesn't seem to work with sawmillcreek.org.

Jason
    I am using the Opera Web Browser app and it seems to work just fine. It actually proxies everything through Opera's servers, so you may not want to use it for your banking, but it seems to be a little faster than Safari to me. They automagically format everything for the smaller screen, but you are getting the full page, and it isn't a mobile site.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Koenig View Post
    I am using the Opera Web Browser app
    I tried Opera for a while, but hated it. When I'd do the reverse pinch to zoom, it would work one time, but the next time I'd do it, it would unzoom--so there is no 2x or 3x or 4x zoom like you have with Safari. That may not seem like a huge deal, but even zoomed, I couldn't activate a lot of buttons on web pages (e.g., "login", "next"). In Safari, even if my attempt to press the button was indistinct because my finger was large relative to the button, I could zoom in more and eventually press it. With Opera, that didn't work.

The benefit of Opera is that it is supposed to be fast. Unfortunately, I also found that on occasion it would take forever to launch a site. No Opera love from me.

I tried Opera for a while, but hated it. When I'd do the reverse pinch to zoom, it would work one time, but the next time I'd do it, it would unzoom--so there is no 2x or 3x or 4x zoom like you have with Safari. That may not seem like a huge deal, but even zoomed, I couldn't activate a lot of buttons on web pages (e.g., "login", "next"). In Safari, even if my attempt to press the button was indistinct because my finger was large relative to the button, I could zoom in more and eventually press it. With Opera, that didn't work.

The benefit of Opera is that it is supposed to be fast. Unfortunately, I also found that on occasion it would take forever to launch a site. No Opera love from me.
    I am sorry you had such a bad experience with Opera. It works perfectly fine for me, and it may as well for others. It is a free app, so the original poster has nothing to lose from trying it.

Opera doesn't have the "pinch to zoom" feature. Instead it has a one touch zoom, which I like a lot more than pinching. It gets in close enough for me to use and activate any buttons, and I am 6'9" and 325 pounds. My fingers are pretty large.

If the zoom is not large enough, you can also change the text size in the settings from the default setting of "small" to "large" and it might help.

No affiliation with Opera, but I am fond of their browser.

Kris

The only issue have had using the I phone with the creek is that the pages are small and my fingers are fat, so there no telling what link I may hit or which post I may read as I never know what my finger will actually touch.

I will note that the creek works well on the I pad, in fact its a generally much more pleasant experience both typing and reading. Doesn't fit so well in the pocket though.

In order to scroll the thread list, use two fingers. iPhone Safari doesn't have scollbars, so one finger scrolls the whole page, and two fingers held closely together will scroll those box-delimited mini-pages such as SMC's thread view.

The only real annoyance I find with most forum software is the tiny numbers or ">" sign to go to the next page. It's the only thing that makes me have to zoom in a lot just to continue reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Garcelon View Post
    In order to scroll the thread list, use two fingers. iPhone Safari doesn't have scollbars, so one finger scrolls the whole page, and two fingers held closely together will scroll those box-delimited mini-pages such as SMC's thread view.
    Sonofagun. *That* is handy.

How the heck did you figure that out?

I use my iPhone with two different vBulletin based forum sites--one of which is SMC--and have not experienced these issues at all. But I don't use the threaded view, either, including on the various full size machines I access from. Perhaps there is an issue around that particular view.

The iPhone sure does beat my old Nokia E62's browser capability with SMC by a mile!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=Peter Quinn;1410189]The only issue have had using the I phone with the creek is that the pages are small and my fingers are fat, so there no telling what link I may hit or which post I may read as I never know what my finger will actually touch.QUOTE]

What Peter said....plus the old eyes and the tiny screen is also an issue, other than those, it seems to work fine for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]