View Poll Results: Should I ...

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Re-roof over the old

13 14.44%
  • Tear Off

77 85.56%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop Roof -- tear off or reroof?

They are in fact Certainteed Custom Sealdon shingle. I just tossed the extra bundles in the dump truck last night (with permission) and found the logo--they weren't very proud of it. A quick read through the settlement site show that there's a good possibility that I could be eligible to file a claim for maybe $500-600. The claim for is a huge pain and it sounds like the fact that one side was torn off will probably mean I can't claim that side since you have to send pictures of the product installed, so now I'm down to $250-$300. To get that I'd have to take, print and submit a dozen or so pictures, go get a copy of the final building inspection from my township, ship them a complete, carefully removed shingle, and gather a bunch of other information. It hardly seems worth it.

Other next door neighbor and I were talking last night and she said the barn was built about up in 1995 because they put theirs up the same year. Their roof is in way worse put shape than mine and I'm wondering if they used the same shingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Permit? For shingling a roof? Not around here.
    Same here.

They finished up today and did a really nice job. They didn't even charge me for the little area of sheeting they repaired since they were able to use a scrap piece they had in their trailer and it only took a few minutes even though they could contractually.

We've used many times the expression that one "certainteed will be PO'ed" .... what can you say??? They been sued several times, they seldom accept a warranty claim as the shingles fault but usually the intaller, bad evnting, bad I/W installation, this and that ... here they inspect as permits are required statewide (except some townships skirt it), and all had to be in past at least up to the UBC. Most locals required way more that was aboce UBC code.

The warranty requires pics, shingles (full shingle and not partials) so it often a PITA. Then they "didn't get it or it was insufficient" and often it gets sent again. They weigh alot - so it is slow and expensive to ship. Then if thecustomers do see any cash it's on the shingle only, no underlayments, no labor, no vents, all other items needed to do an install....integrety issue with them IMO.

I helped someone get a whole $356 a few years back. The roof cost over $17,000 to replace. So happy I don't and won't toss these things on a roof. Good way to get run out of Dodge around here. They had huge mfg facilities here in state and got to know a lot of the reps. Never met one that used their roofing products on their roof. Does that tell someone anything? Did me anyway.

They make some good siding and other products but I won't touch any of it. Principle thing I guess. I'm done - google search will tell it all.

If not Certainteed then which brand name is best or better?
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    If not Certainteed then which brand name is best or better?

I have had very good luck with Tamko.

Never tossed on Tamko's here but I had always thought Elk maybe top dog, now with GAF owning I may change that. Bet we all got fav's but I rank them this way.

Elk Prestiques
    ELK/GAF Timberline and OC's Duration and OakRidge
    I'm talking laminated of course.

3 tab - OC, GAF
    The rest close together a bit behind these.

Like I said - Tamko's spoken highly of but not used to much here. My basis for rating is longevity/durability of shingle, then warranty, then CS if I needed assistance in handling something. Warranty claims pretty non-existent with these brands but I've had the distributers mess up a lot where I could see a slight color variation after they on and they bent over backwards to make it right with me and the HO. That speaks LOUD to me when I was doing so many roofs all the time. Down time is not good.

Others will likely chime in too but in MN this is my strong preference. I know they all change the compounds for various regions so this may not be what I'd use if in Texas or Florida....

Owens Corning is real popular here. Could have something to do with their HQ being 17 miles away.

Duration is what I had installed.

I had no idea there was such a difference between brands of shingles!

I just had the garage done. I have an extra bundle in the garage. I'll check the brand when I put the car away.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Owens Corning is real popular here. Could have something to do with their HQ being 17 miles away.

Duration is what I had installed.
    Or as simple as their quality. They make real solid roofing products.
    Durations are one of the best choices one could make. You'll be happy for years to come

Here's some photos I took of the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Here's some photos I took of the process.
    No ice shield along the eaves? Or is it just not visible in the photo. Looks like all tar-paper to me.
    "It's Not About You."

does that gas pump really work?
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Tear off is always better, but it's a whole lot more work. My decision would be based somewhat on the complexity of the roof, but unless it needs a tear off badly, or you've got the time and ambition now, I think I'd opt for re-roof only.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    No ice shield along the eaves? Or is it just not visible in the photo. Looks like all tar-paper to me.
    Its there, just doesn't look as much different in the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    does that gas pump really work?
    No--the mechanical works are even gone from the inside.