Thread: Help with CL Jointer purchase

Help with CL Jointer purchase

I have been stalking CL lately trying to find a deal on a Jointer or Planer as these will be my next purchases for my shop.
    Today I came across a CL post for a Craftsman

6 1/8-Inch Bench Top Jointer-Planer, Model# 149.236280 - $40.00

Owner says there are some chips on the blades which need to be replaced but otherwise sounded like a good buy. Any thoughts on this tool?
    Attached Images Attached Images

First thing I would do is find out what a new set of knives will cost, I'm guessing they will cost more than the price of the jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sparks View Post
    First thing I would do is find out what a new set of knives will cost, I'm guessing they will cost more than the price of the jointer.
    Sears lists the replacement parts @ 17.13

It is a two blade 9.80L x 1.80W x 0.30H

Guy told me I can get the for 15$

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Scull View Post
    Sears lists the replacement parts @ 17.13

It is a two blade 9.80L x 1.80W x 0.30H

Guy told me I can get the for 15$
    Heck, for the price of all that what do you have to lose? It will get you started with using rough sawn wood and when you decide to upgrade to a better unit, I'm sure you can re-coop your $57.13 investment for a free use of the tool while you have it.

Providing this one runs OK you're not going to find one cheaper. Great tool to learn on. Then when you get a good one you'll be way ahead on the learning curve. (Like me with my old miter saw) .
    And now for something completely different....

Generally, Cman jointers don't bring the price that Jets, and such do. Doesn't mean it isn't worth it though. For $40 & a couple knives, not a bad deal.
    Just make sure the motor runs, and the iron isn't cracked anywhere.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Keep in mind that has a short bed so you only get a foot or so on each side which can make jointing a long board a pain.

40 bucks is a good price.

Well it followed me home today, stopped by sears and got some knives so i'm out 55.60. I am figuring that its going to be a good stop gap that I use for a while and get most of the money out of when its time to upgrade.

Thanks all for your help!

I have a similar model

I have nedarly the same craftsman Jointer. I've been pretty happy with it. It fit well into my crampt shop. I think the price is a pretty good deal.