Thread: Colored composite lumber for Adirondack chairs... need source.

Colored composite lumber for Adirondack chairs... need source.

My wife has seen and wants me to make some Adirondack chairs. The ones she has seen were made from colored (red, blue, green, black) 5/4 composite lumber. Checked the box stores but only have deck material. Quick check of the web did not turn up any suppliers. Does anyone know where I can buy or order this material?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

The only readily available composite lumber that I know of is composite decking. If you check with you local lumber yard they can probably get a few different varieties in different colors.

Rob

Check out RPI2 dot com, Recycled Plastic Industries. I made my deck, and also a pub table and chairs. They show many chairs etc on their website made by various manufacturers. 3 years outside and they look like brand new.

The stuff is so awesome to machine with normal woodworking tools. The drawback is getting it shipped (it's heavey) may be expensive if you don't have a local source, for me they are on the way home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lindquist View Post
    Check out RPI2 dot com.
    Interesting site. They get very specific about certain things--$0.10 per precision cut, $1 surcharge for boards over 70 lbs.--but never actually seem to give a price for the lumber itself. Or am I just blind?

Roger,
    Today I was in a friend's shop and saw a piece of dark wood. The grain was familiar looking a lot like poplar but the color, which went completely through the wood was a dark brown. It was stamped "Poplar with Armor". The sample had been dropped off by a salesman who I believe was from Mann & Parker, a western PA company who processes and supplies wood to the trades. The poplar had been baked in an oven to in a process my friend thought to be chemical free. The process rendered the wood rot proof and permanently colored. I am trying to get more information and will call the rep tomorrow for details. An internet search yielded no results. If I can find the info, at $3.00 a foot, I would love to make an outdoor project from the stuff.
    butch

I made mine out of Koma. You can get in in whatever thickness you want. Also you can get either boards of sheets. Boards are 18 feet long, sheets are 4X8. Only thing is, they are white only , I believe, but that's what I wanted anyway. I ordered it thru my local lumber/hardware supplier. I'd post a pic but I have already done that here before so I don't think I can re-post the pics. You can search for adirondack threads to see them.

Google Koma trimboards for more info.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 04-27-2010 at 9:15 PM.

I made mine out of cedar decking using a modified version of the plans for "Jake's Chair". I wouldn't have any worries about using 4/4 rather than 5/4.

Thanks Rob for the site info for RBI2. I like the vivid color selection they have available. No pricing listed but will drop them an email. Thanks to your other guys for comments but material suggested is not what I was looking for on this project.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

I have seen outdoor furniture for sale in the Amish area in northern Indiana.
    It looks like plastic, is very strong & looks like it machined very well. It is not the same type of material in the link above. I have not been able to find out who makes it & the Amish area is the only place I have seen furniture made from that material for sale.

Google with "Plastic lumber". For instance you can find a site offering plastic dimensional lumber, and they also offer furniture made with it --- http://plasticlumberyard.com/FURNITURE/index.html