Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on pricing for custom cabinets???

Blog Entries
    We aren’t talking about sandwiches.

commercial was $300-$350 Running foot. Your making more than commercial..
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-03-2024 at 2:21 PM.

Jack, when you say $45 a foot for a box, what exactly does that mean? Do you price fame frames/edgbanding, door/drawer fronts, hardware, etc… as extras? Seems low, so I’m curious, but no offense intended whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    Jack, when you say $45 a foot for a box, what exactly does that mean? Do you price fame frames/edgbanding, door/drawer fronts, hardware, etc… as extras? Seems low, so I’m curious, but no offense intended whatsoever.
    Box with face was $28.75 and uppers were $24.25. This was years ago, but all I have to do is adjust for material prices and wages,.

after the box footage, you have doors, drawers, hinges, drawer hardware, etc.
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-03-2024 at 2:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Let’s take a 10’ base cabinet.

10 x $28.75 PB…
    5 doors?
    5 drawers ?
    5 sets hardware x?
    5pairs of hinges x?

Finish end/ends x?
    top?

Remember… Your not making a box , but a whole set..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Box with face was $28.75 and uppers were $24.25. This was years ago, but all I have to do is adjust for material prices and wages,.

after the box footage, you have doors, drawers, hinges, drawer hardware, etc.
    How many years ago?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    How many years ago?

All I need do is upgrade the price what I payed from the suppliers then to now and play with the wages.

All I need do is upgrade the price what I payed from the suppliers then to now and play with the wages.
    That's not an answer to my question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That's not an answer to my question.
    Why, Are you a cabinet maker?
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-03-2024 at 5:50 PM.

Yeah, play with those wages...a lot. Never mind cost of material. No, we're not talking sandwiches here but you do have to pay for those sandwiches with wages earned. And I don't live in a third world country so I'm not breaking my butt for peanuts. How exactly do you justify the nearly 10x price for commercial? Like I mentioned, I'm not using pocket holes and half inch ply from HD. My cabinets (when I do those, that's not all I do) can be treated as standalone furniture - meaning they aren't dependent on the studs in the wall to hold them straight and square. Furniture, I charge a considerable sum more for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Yeah, play with those wages...a lot. Never mind cost of material. No, we're not talking sandwiches here but you do have to pay for those sandwiches with wages earned. And I don't live in a third world country so I'm not breaking my butt for peanuts. How exactly do you justify the nearly 10x price for commercial? Like I mentioned, I'm not using pocket holes and half inch ply from HD. My cabinets (when I do those, that's not all I do) can be treated as standalone furniture - meaning they aren't dependent on the studs in the wall to hold them straight and square. Furniture, I charge a considerable sum more for.

We don’t buy from the big box. We have cabinet supply companies in KC. Commercial is a completed box installed.

You can call what you build Furniture, still cabinets.
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-03-2024 at 6:24 PM.

Let’s take a 10’ base cabinet.

10 x $28.75 PB…
    5 doors?
    5 drawers ?
    5 sets hardware x?
    5pairs of hinges x?

Finish end/ends x?
    top?

Remember… Your not making a box , but a whole set..
    I’m well aware what goes into making cabinets. Merely trying to understand your pricing method, which still seems extremely low for anything but wholesale cabinets which absolutely serve a necessary purpose. I’m guessing this discussion is not reflective of an apples to apples pricing comparison.

Custom in my business means fitting the walls. Not buying a big box cabinet and using fillers.
    That's not in conflict with what I said, Jack.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Guys, this thread was started 14 years ago, I'm sure prices for material and labor have changed substantially since then..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I’ve got 5 cabinet shops in a 10 mile radius. I had to price to compete with those shops. Builders homes are generally a bit cheaper than an individual because they give you more than one home and expect it. You can’t blow up prices because you want to. I had a cabinet maker in Chicago tell me he got double. That’s great, but not here.

Jack, understood, and I respect your ability to operate competitively in that market. I too believe in pricing work fairly to both parties involved.