Thread: Plastic Coated 4x4 for Swingset

Question Plastic Coated 4x4 for Swingset

I am in the process of building (just getting started) a swingset for my three kids. I have seen, on other sets, 4x4 posts that were coated with what seemed like plastic or where even powder coated. I have called a couple of companies and done some searching on the internet, but haven't come up with a source to buy them from. Does anybody know where I can purchase them. I live in Leesburg, VA (about 30-35 miles west of DC).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Id be careful about using vinyl coated wood on a swingset. I found a few articles and a few product recalls about some products like that.....water gets behind the vinyl coating and you dont know about it until its too late (i.e. the wood rots inside then falls apart while someone is on the swingset)

I bought my kids a swingset from Costco thats made of redwood and/or cedar. Just refinished it last month after it was outside for 3 yrs. Looks as good as new.

Id stick with cedar or redwood with a good quality oil based finish (I used Cabot)

If you really wanted to go the route of a covered post, you might look into composite or vinyl sleeves and slide them over a 4x4 pressure treated post. But again you still run the risk of "hidden" rotting.

Why not use treated 4x4's inside of white pvc fence post material. The cross pieces could be sized to fit inside the 26 rail sections. Seal the joints with pvc cement and leave the bottom of the uprights open as a drain. Lowes carries all this stuff in stock. It would take some fitting but give you a great finished look, plenty of strength and be maintenance free. Just a thought and possibly a good one!

Dino Drosas
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

I would just use normal outdoor 4x4's cheap and they will last longer than your kids will use it. Trick is just retreat them in about 3-4 years or when needed depending on where you live.
    -=Jason=-

Plasti Dip them... You will defintely go through several cans(little expensive at $4 a spray can) but, it essentially places a layer of plastic on the surface. You can get it many colours including clear too(if you want a natural wood look.)

Otherwise, I would look at fence posts, since they are generally a plasticy material(I am obviously not talking about wooden posts...

You can get "lumber" that is plastic all the way through. It is generally made from recycled plastic, and some versions have recycled wood fiber in them too. Trex is a well-known brand intended for making decks, and they also offer 4x4. Or google with "Plastic lumber" for other sources, for instance http://plasticlumberyard.com/FURNITURE/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You can get "lumber" that is plastic all the way through. It is generally made from recycled plastic, and some versions have recycled wood fiber in them too. Trex is a well-known brand intended for making decks, and they also offer 4x4. Or google with "Plastic lumber" for other sources, for instance http://plasticlumberyard.com/FURNITURE/index.html
    Oh yea... I kind of forgot about Trex... stuff breaks easy though... My desk is made out of it, and a piece of trim keeps breaking off, 3 time we have replaced it... Not to mention it warps like a bugger...(the corners of the deck are all warped.)

As far as I know, composites like Trex, etc arent rated for structural use. I think there are a few composites out there that are, but I dont think its something you might find in stock even at a lumberyard.

Either use raw posts (treated with a stain) or use PVC sleeves over pressure treated posts

How about putting a roll-on bedliner product (for truck beds) on your posts after they have had a year to two to dry out?

Exclamation Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will probably just go with either Cedar or Redwood and stain them, but use something like trex for the walls and decking.

I'll post some pictures when I am done.

Thanks again,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim dePrado View Post
    ... for the walls and decking...
    This is a swingset? With walls and decking?

Thats a good idea.

After sanding down my kids whole swingset before refinishing, I noticed the roof had really taken a beating. Instead of spending forever sanding it and 2 coats of stain Im going to replace it with composite (just need to add a "roof joist" underneath to get the proper 12" on center)

Composite has its place, but structural posts isnt necessarily one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harry View Post
    ..swingset...roof...
    What are you guys building??? Swingsets with walls, decks and a roof?

My idea of a swingset is a swing hanging from a beam sitting on posts.

I bought our daughters play set on craigslist for $100, the kit costs $500 from Menards and if I bought the materials it would be $400.

Watch craigslist they come up often.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

What are you guys building??? Swingsets with walls, decks and a roof?

My idea of a swingset is a swing hanging from a beam sitting on posts.
    hehe

its a Costco model ("Sunray" which is actually made by Rainbow Playyards, the makers of really REALLY big swingsets)

One side of it is a cabin-like thing with the slide coming off it. The roof is over the cabin.

But yeah, when I was a kid I had a metal swingset with 2 swings and a slide. My kids are spoiled!