Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Magnetic featherboards

Best Magnetic featherboards

Well I now have a benchdog cast iron table. Waiting to mid may to purchase the Grizzly tablesaw.

With two cast iron units I have been looking into magnetic featherboards. A few to choose from thought I would as the group about there expereinces with them.

Do the magnets hold tight enough in most situations? Will be doing some cabinet building at first, followed by some funiture.

Thanks for responses.

I have the Ridgid magnetic featherboard ($30, HD) and it works very well. Extremely strong grip on my cast iron tops, and when it's not in use I stick it to the cabinet where it'll be out of the way.

I know there are fancier setups, but this works really well for me and the price was right.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

I have one with magnets, from Woodcraft, and don't us it any more. I got the Jessems and really like them better.

The magnetic one hold well unless you are over the miter slot and then they do hold very good at all. Also with the magnetic ones I had a problem getting them set right to hold things the way they should.

With the Jessems I put the in the slot, move them up and they are square and hold excellent.

PM me with and address and I will send you a magnet one.

I have the Mag Switch ones and like them. I can't move the featherboards when they are engaged.

As an aside, the Ridgid one is a Magswitch.

I've got a Magswitch and like it. I bought and returned the Ridgid one because on my right tilt saw, the Ridgid one would sometime want to be on my non-metallic ZCI. The Magswitch I got instead is the one with arms that sit further back.

Another vote for the Magswitch.

I have several Magswitch and am happy.

Blog Entries
    I love my Griptite feather boards. They are easy to use and store right on the legs of my TS where they are easy to reach. Mine are teh original wooden ones.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have Griptites too, and like them. Do not have experience with the Magswitch.

I have a miter slot feather board, and like the magetic one better. Hangs on the side of the cabinet, don't have to go hunt for the miter slot one. The miter slot takes more time to set up. Just pop the Grip tite on and go. Have not had the Griptite move yet.

I have both I don't like the grip tights, you can buy mind they only apply pressure at one point, which is good enought for some joobs, the ones like a real feathor board I perfer.
    -=Jason=-

Magswitch.

Just place it on the table, snug it against the workpiece to the proper tension and then turn the switch. Couldn't be easier.

Magswitch.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Magswitch

I love the Magswitches.

I usually use the large model. This holds like the dickens and works 95% of the time. I got it before the double sided one came out and have used it for about 2 years now. It is the first and usually only featherboard I reach for.

On the occasions where the big one would fall over the miter slot, I use the double-sided one (e.g. the Ridgid one--though they also make these in black and not Ridgid branded).

With it's narrower profile it doesn't fall in same location as the large, and it hold plenty well. You can also use this one on the other side of the fence, on jointer fences, bandsaws, etc.

Blog Entries
    I have a Magswitch universal and one of the Ridgid orange ones too. They are my go to guys. If you plan to do any vertical work on your router table you will want some form of stacking FB's.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got 2 of the Grip-Tites - they work well, but I think the MagSwitch's are superior. If they'd have been out first, I would have gone for them.