Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Form, curly maple

Hollow Form, curly maple

here is my latest peice. it is curly maple that came from one of those huge maple crotches i cut up at the begining of last summer. this is not a crotch peice, just very curly. this is yet another turned with just a bowl gouge.,,,well i did rough turn the outside with my new EasyRougher tool (gloat)

comments and critiques welcome.
    its been awhile since i have posted anything. lots of school work between graduation projects and stuff for college and finding a job. hopefully i will get back into the shop more often in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curtis rosche; 04-28-2010 at 6:10 PM.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Beautiful grain good looking form & finish

That's very nice work Curtis! Glad to hear that you are paying attention to school work though. Education can get you the good job to support the woodturning hobby in fine style.
    Richard in Wimberley

wow thats a ton of curl.

Nice looking piece from start to finish.

That is a nice job, Curtis, and a great looking piece of wood. Did you turn this and let it dry and re-turn it or just go straight to the finished piece?

Very nice looking piece.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Wow...cool wood!! And nicely executed.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very Nice Curtis. Enjoy your years in college, and take in as much knowledge in as you can.
    Jack

That looks good. I can't imagine turning under that shoulder with a bowl gouge! Great looking piece of wood. Enjoy college.

thanks

i sealed this peice with that sealer that there was some debate about if it was safe or not. the slab cracked a little, but not much. i cut this peice out and then rough turned the outside and it sat for a week or two before i had time to hollow it out. i didnt cover it or bag it. i just left it to sit on my chuck. it was almost dry with my moisture meter when i started.

David, its not that hard to use the bowl gouge for this. the only problem that i have is if the wood is to hard, i cant go as deep because my gouge vibrates and so does my spindle. i have never had a catch on the inside of a peice while hollowing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    thanks
    David, its not that hard to use the bowl gouge for this. the only problem that i have is if the wood is to hard, i cant go as deep because my gouge vibrates and so does my spindle. i have never had a catch on the inside of a peice while hollowing it out.
    Curtis, that is an awesome piece of work... the wood, too! Two thunbs up!
    Hollowing under that shoulder with a bowl gouge seems intimidating... well, it is intimidating, to me.
    Which gouge did you use? And when you were cutting under the shoulder, were you turning the flute towards you, and shear scraping?
    Or is there some other technique that I need to learn? Or do I just need more guts?
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Curtis, that is a beautiful piece of wood, and you were able to achieve a really deep undercut just using the bowl gouge - slick!! Nice work.

Your work on this piece of maple is nice. Sure shows well.

i try rotating the gouge all different ways, it will cut so far at one angle until it stops because the bevel is rubbing or it is trying to cut to much, so i rotate it and then it cuts again, then rotate it back,, i dont know how to explain it very well.
    part of the under cut is just the angle of attck, my gouge will touch both sides of the rim at the same time. i just go back and clean it up before sanding.