Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well. I'm not happy!

Well. I'm not happy!

The guy with the tree service finally showed up three weeks late to cut down the ash tree. He cut it down and instead of leaving an 11' trunk on the ground, he left a stacked pile of firewood in two foot lengths. So much for milling any ash lumber. Arrgh!!! I made it clear to him that I wanted the trunk intact. He was paid in advance and I am fuming as I was at work when he did this. I will never have him do anything for me again, that's for sure. My disappointment is beyond belief as white ash is rapidly going the way of American chestnut. This idiot actually thinks he did me a favor. I should have put it in a written contract but I thought he could follow simple instructions.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-30-2010 at 2:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    That is amazingly painful. With the way the economy is you would think people would be extra careful about leaving a good impression with their customers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That ... um ... rather sucks.

Is there any way he can come up with another hardwood tree -- cut like it was supposed to be cut -- in compensation ??

Sorry. Uncool.

I had a similar thing happen to me...but I wasn't out any money for the work. My neighbor was going to have a walnut tree removed and asked if I wanted anything (he just wanted the tree gone). I told them to save me a 10ft section of the trunk. I ended up with very short pieces of firewood (not even a foot!). Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Post him on Angie's List.
    Have a Nice Day!

With the way the economy is you would think people would be extra careful about leaving a good impression with their customers
    Actually - - it's been my experience that in a down economy, you have to be ultra selective about who you get to do work.

Everybody with an extension ladder is a "house painter", everybody with a chain saw is a "tree removal service", everybody with a hammer is a "carpenter". everybody with two or more tools is a "handyman",,etc..

The flip side to them is the person that actually is what they claim to be & they are skilled mechanics.
    They can have their own issues also.
    Some of the very best hands on people I know, have the customer service attitude of Attila the Hun - or worse...

I'm PO too. Let's get the bastard!!

Such is the way of dealing with people today. A complete lack of thought. Try teaching school sometime.

Whats a real shame is that by cutting it into two foot lengths for fire wood (more work for him) he probably thought he was doing you a favor.

Lesson learned? ALWAYS put it in writing! If I wasn't going to be there to supervise, I might have left a note pinned to the tree. But hindsight is always 100%.

You must have ash trees in your area. See if he is going to take down another one and ask/tell him to get you some trunks to use for lumber.

Nothing is wasted...

I share your disappointment. Bummer !

I would not burn the Ash though. Even short as it is, it can be milled into 5/4 stock and used for some great boxes or turnings. It must be the Scottish blood in me, but nothing is wasted in my shop until it's less than 3 inches in length and even then....

The shorter wood will also dry quicker... This comes under the rule every cloud has a silver lining....until the rain hits ! Hoot!

Ask him if he is cutting any other Ash trees, he needs to take away your pile of firewood and replace it with a good trunk
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

George, it sounds like it's time to start making Windsor chairs. Ash makes wonderful spindles for the back and most spindles aren't over two feel long!

Where in east Illinois are you located? I'm in Vincennes, Indiana and could use some of that Ash. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I hope its not infected with Ash Bug

I would sure hope that wood isnt infected with the emerald Ash Borer. If so I would be careful about how that wood is used and taken. If your not careful you could spread this thing even further. There are bans on taking firewood over state lines already do to this bug.

Unhappy My Sympathy

I really feel for you, that Ash would have made some really nice boards. Well all is not lost, you could buy a lathe and turn bowls with the pieces, or you could ship me a few pieces so I can do the same ;^). Seriously if you aren’t going to burn it – Agggggh- maybe there is a turning club in your area who would just love to have it.
    Bummer.

15. If he is BBB certified, launch a complaint with them... you should end up getting a healthy check in the mail....

I did that for HP, when they screwed up, by telling me the incorrect CFM for my computer(I ended up buying about $300 in parts to fix their error(I needed the info to get a graphics card.) If you write in the complaint the approximate value for the wood at (x) ft, then, you might get a check to buy X ft... dried...

But that only works if he is BBB cert.