Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sears is merging with Kmart: Any opinions as what will happen to the tools?

Sears is merging with Kmart: Any opinions as what will happen to the tools?

Hi:

I just read on the nbcnews website that Sears will be merging with Kmart. Anyone got any opinions as to what is going to happen to the Craftsman line of tools that Sears sells? What about their bench tools?

Thanks,

Bob

I think it would be stupid for Sears/Kmart to so anything with the craftsman line, it's a namesake. Would be STUPID to change them IMHO. we'll see I guess.

I suspect that this is a merger that will be invisible to consumers. I doubt either store will change much in their offerings.

I agree with Marc. They formed a new "holding" company. That company owns both Sears and KMART now. I just hope the new owners of KMART clean up their stores. That is why the wife and I do not shop there. In our area, the stores are poorly maintained.

Sears has been buying up closed K mart stores for a couple of years now. Maybe they'll inlarge their tool centers as part of their Great Indoors campaign.

I'll bet it is just a "merger" in name only, and actually a buy-out.. Just like Bank One and Chase. Within a year of two, Bank One will only be an item of historical interest.
    Best Regards, Ken

Personally I seldom if ever consider Sears any more for tool purchases. In my opinion the quality has left the Caraftsman line. I no longer own any Craftsman tools except for some clamps.

Any body that will put a laser on a saber saw is not serious about tools...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I dont think it will be anything bad for the tool line. If anything, I see it as two large retailers that have been having their clocks cleaned by Wally world joining forces to increase thier buying leverage with suppliers.

There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business. They also succeeded in turning the tables on the manufacturer-retailer relationship. They became so big that they can dictate terms to their suppliers and the suppliers knuckle under or go under. So if Sears and Kmart can combine forces and take a lesson or two from walmart, who knows where it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    I dont think it will be anything bad for the tool line. If anything, I see it as two large retailers that have been having their clocks cleaned by Wally world joining forces to increase thier buying leverage with suppliers.

There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business. They also succeeded in turning the tables on the manufacturer-retailer relationship. They became so big that they can dictate terms to their suppliers and the suppliers knuckle under or go under. So if Sears and Kmart can combine forces and take a lesson or two from walmart, who knows where it will go.
    Bob,

It just goes to show that we need to understand the importance of our buying decisions. I have had one over-riding guideline in my purchases for years. Don't reward mediocrity. There is nothing patriotic about buying American Made if it is junk, and there is nothing smart about buying Chinese if it is junk either.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business.
    I Tivo'd it last night as well as the 2 hour show on CNBC which was very interesting.

Sears has merged with Kmart Holding which now is known as Sears Holding. There is an excellent article about the new chairman Edward Lambert on Businessweek's site. Lambert is being touted as the next Warrent Buffet. It will be a good thing for Sears and Kmart and be even better for us consumers. I mean woodworkers.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I have worked with Sears as one of our customers for 5 years now. Nothing like one "sinking ship" to buy another "sinking ship". JMHO!!!!

I don't shop nor buy from Sears or KMart any more and haven't for several years.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Craftsman will become Kraftsman!!

Hmmmm...Maybe add a line of Martha Stewart tools? A special line of pick-axes, saws and drills? In pink, of course! Or get a new line from the same places that supply HF and brand name them Crafts-Mart? Heck, the possibilities are endless!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

There were two interesting facts that I have heard this morning about this "merger". It really isn't a merger - KMart is buying Sears. Secondly, the "merged" company will be the 3rd largest retailer in the country behind # 1 WalMart (which I knew) and #2 HomeDepot (which I didn't know). Kroger now falls to fourth. I don't shop at WalMart, Kmart or Sears (except for their Sears Hardware). As a matter of fact, I haven't been in the Mall in a year - shop mostly on-line (UPS and FedEx love and hate us )
    Dan McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Craftsman will become Kraftsman!!
    Craftsman will become Martha Stewart Tools
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr