Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about monster hollowing system

Another Method

[QUOTE=Steve Schlumpf;1412777]Patrick - I have both of the Monster systems (love them!) but, in my opinion, were not designed to go that deep.

Patrick, I agree with Steve about the Monster system. I have the articulated system and find it starts chattering badly beyond about a foot.

I've turned several deep vessels using the technique shown on Jack de Vos' website. (Perth, Australia - jackdevos.com - "the making of..." link.) You hollow from both ends, saving the "plug" from the bottom to make it solid again when you're finished. It requires the use of a steady-rest, but most deep vessels do, anyway.
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Scanned photos of Sudol system in use by Frank

Here are some photos I scanned of the late-great Frank Sudol using the Sudol hollowing system a a demo in Georgia.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Geiger; 05-03-2010 at 2:52 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

I have a Nova 1624. The captured rig that I made works well within the capacity limits of the Nova. To do deeper work, I need to install the bed extention and make a beefer bar.

The photo is of an oak urn that I turned this month, the finish is Mylands friction finish. I burnished the oak with oak curlies. The urn was just about max depth on Nova at about 14 inches.

Bob Haverstock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out Elmer Adams

There is a turner in Hawaii Named Elmer Adams that has lots of stuff on Youtube. He uses some huge tools and it is the length that is very important. Here is a link to one of his YouTube videos

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...28-68652892667

It is very cool!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown