Thread: General 160 Lathe Opinions

General 160 Lathe Opinions

I haven't ever owned a lathe before and have only used one for a very brief period of time many years ago. I've been considering buying one for awhile and recently saw one advertised locally.

Here is the ad...

This is a wood lathe made by general tools of canada it is heavy duty and variable speed It comes with a bunch of attachements plus another identical lathe for parts if needed. everything works as far as I know I bought it last year but now realize I have no time to use it. This lathe new retails for $3400. I am asking $350 that is a steal of a deal.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I've talked with the guy and he says he purchased it a year ago and hasn't used it so he won't guarantee everything works as it should, although it definitely does turn on. It does come with a second spare machines for parts.

Having very little experience working with a lathe, would this be a good machine to buy and work with? Any specifics I should look for? Other advice?

Harlan,

I think you would get more replies in the Turners Forum. As we don't allow double posting at this site, I'd be glad to move this thread to there so you might get more replies from the turners.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Please do.

Thank you in advance.

Harlan,

Glad to accomodate you.

I am not familiar with this lathe but I'm sure others with more experience are.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-01-2010 at 5:11 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A pair of 160's for $350? Jump all over it.

6. i'd hurry, i'm only an 8 hour drive away!!

I figured it was a pretty good deal... anything I should look for specifically? As mentioned, I have little experience using a lathe, so I have no idea what I should even be taking a look at. My plan was to purchase and eventually take a class or two.

I'm going to go tomorrow and check this one out. Again, anything specific besides the common knowledge stuff?
    Last edited by Harlan Theaker; 05-01-2010 at 5:09 PM.

If it were me I would have already bought it. Check the headstock bearings to see if they are solid and maybe put a spur center in the headstock and a livecenter in the tailstock. Bring them together and see if the points line up.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    A pair of 160's for $350? Jump all over it.
    One is a 160 the other is a 260....