Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apology to Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gazda View Post
    I use to be jealous of everyone that had a lathe with reverse. Now I know there is at least one advantage. LOL.
    Not if you get up on the wrong side of the bed.....Pun intended!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I won't mention how easy it is to but a table saw blade on backwards I guess. Still cuts if you can see it through all the smoke.

I've put a brand new bandsaw blade in upside down. Wondered why it was such a POS and made so much noise. I even CHECKED IT TWICE! Yes, it does cut.

Good thing my Jet mini can't spin in reverse.

Did that with a dado-blade set one time, almost set the tablesaw on fire.

hahaha, I thought I might be the only one to have done this and actually "worked" at for a few minutes before figuring it out .

Reverse beeper!

You guys just gave me a great idea! How about a beeper that lets you know when the lathe is in reverse!

We have two Toyota Prius cars and I took both to the dealer to have the reverse beepers turned off. It's very annoying in a car but would be good information to have on a lathe.

Don Geiger

They make lathes with reverse

yeah, most of the larger lathes have reverse, generally used for sanding and finishing.

eheheh I wished I could afford a lathe with reverse...

On a serious note though I have to ask what you would use reverse for? other than not to cut something...lol

I am thinking I would use it for sanding but that is just a thought. On certain wood when I sand my pens I manually reverse it sand. Some wood it bring up the grain and some wood it makes it realy nice...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    You guys just gave me a great idea! How about a beeper that lets you know when the lathe is in reverse!

We have two Toyota Prius cars and I took both to the dealer to have the reverse beepers turned off. It's very annoying in a car but would be good information to have on a lathe.

Don Geiger
    ahahah is either one of them blue? !!!!...

there is a comedian that talks about a blue prius.. the ventriliquist i think.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    Steve, I'm sorry. Awhile back you posted something that really made me chuckle. This morning, I went to my shop to finish a HF I started earlier in the week. I started the piece spinning and began to cut. For some reason I couldn't get my tool to cut, so I tried another tool. That wouldn't cut either, so I sharpened both. They still would't cut!! I fought it for about 10 minutes and was ready to give it up, turned off the lathe and when it slowed noticed it was spinning in REVERSE. So Steve, I'm sorry I laughed when you shared a similar experience...Now I understand
    BTW-the piece ended up as a lovely funnel.....I think I'll go to the store now and get ready to fix a lovely dinner for LOML. Hope I don't burn it!
    Try to make a cut while the lathe is running in reverse?!?!? I cannot relate and have no idea what you guys are talking about.... I wish... It has been a long time but it might have happened once or twice... Then it hits me in 2 parts:
    1. I relizing I made the mistake.
    2. Is the time it took me to figure out what was going on... that part I do not care for!!!

Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

The only thing worse than leaving your lathe in reverse is leaving your car in reverse and backing into the swimming pool. I hate when that happens !!!

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    eheheh I wished I could afford a lathe with reverse...

On a serious note though I have to ask what you would use reverse for? other than not to cut something...lol

I am thinking I would use it for sanding but that is just a thought. On certain wood when I sand my pens I manually reverse it sand. Some wood it bring up the grain and some wood it makes it realy nice...
    Karl,

I use the reverse function all the time for sanding purposes, but I also will use it to turn an undercut on a bowl. Instead of reaching around to undercut the bowl closest to where I am standing I just reverse it and turn the other side. Very handy and a whole lot easier to reach in there and see what your doing.