Thread: Another pretty decent tool gloat...

Another pretty decent tool gloat...

I found an 20 gal 3HP (or 4) Sanborn Air Compressor on CL earlier today. I ended up pulling the trigger. He was asking $30!!! I went to pick it up, he fired it up, it purred like a baby kitten, by that I mean it was SUPER quiet. AWESOME!!! Good news, bad news is, he didn't realize it had a small hole in the bottom of the tank. So he only charged me $15.

So I said, "How 'bout those two wooden hand screw clamps as well..." He said $20 total. I said, "Deal."

I'll just have to weld the hole closed. I don't have any welding gear. I have a bunch of 'wrenchers' on my block, I'll ask one of them.

shotgunn
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I found an 20 gal 3HP (or 4) Sanborn Air Compressor on CL earlier today. I ended up pulling the trigger. He was asking $30!!! I went to pick it up, he fired it up, it purred like a baby kitten, by that I mean it was SUPER quiet. AWESOME!!! Good news, bad news is, he didn't realize it had a small hole in the bottom of the tank. So he only charged me $15.

So I said, "How 'bout those two wooden hand screw clamps as well..." He said $20 total. I said, "Deal."

I'll just have to weld the hole closed. I don't have any welding gear. I have a bunch of 'wrenchers' on my block, I'll ask one of them.

shotgunn
    i would suggest before you have the hole welded to rent or borrow a bore scope and look for pits/additional rust in the bottom of the tank

Yeah, I have just been reading about the horros off compressed air tanks with holes in them. Oh well, if it ends up being a loss, it was only $15.

Let's say the inside area around the hole is pretty bad can I cut out the bad area and weld on some new steel?

If it is beyond repair do you know any places with 20gal tanks for a decent price? I think Northern has/had a 20 gal for around $120.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    i would suggest before you have the hole welded to rent or borrow a bore scope and look for pits/additional rust in the bottom of the tank
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I've heard of people using empty propane tanks in place of a rusted-out compressor tank. Should be plenty of those to be had cheap on CL.

it is worth the money you paid as a electric motor part it out or get a good proper air tank trying to weld a air tank is a good way to get hurt

congrats on the CL score
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I would definitely think about finding a new tank and replumbing to fit it. Granted the pressures on an air tank aren't that high, but the thought of blowing off the piece or cracking the old tank would be a nightmare. Welding could weaken the tank futher.

A guy I know bought a real nice Speedaire compressor that some museum weenies had been using. They never had the sense to drain it out. This was a large upright compressor,and not a cheap one,either. It was clear full of water!!!

In the bottom of the tank was a large bung. He unscrewed it,and a ton of rusty flakes came out. Some were bigger than a half dollar!!

Compressed air is very dangerous. On another forum,a guy had one explode,and it ripped a wall out of his garage. Shrapnel missed him,luckily. DO BE CAREFUL. I wonder if the owner knew that his compressor was rotted out ?

Mike, if you can not afford To by a new tank, strip it down and save for parts. Don't try to have one of the Buddy's weld it up. I'll look to see if I can fine the URL of the problems they have with air compressors . One guy had both his legs blew off when his tank exploded. It's nothing to take lightly Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Cool, thanx!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Lesak View Post
    Mike, if you can not afford To by a new tank, strip it down and save for parts. Don't try to have one of the Buddy's weld it up. I'll look to see if I can fine the URL of the problems they have with air compressors . One guy had both his legs blew off when his tank exploded. It's nothing to take lightly Dale
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I still have to go and pick up my $20 refund on my $35 CL compressor purchase.

I have since listed, and about to sell the 23 gallon sanborn for $50 and my 6 gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor for $50.

Not bad, after all is said and done I will have paid -$85 for my new Sears CM 12 gallon nice & quiet compressor.

This turned into a pretty good gloat I must say.

Now I am going to build myself an air filter for my shop.

Thanx,

shotgunn
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I would say "you suck" but despite the fact you have done well, it did take some time and work. But in the end I will give you a you suck.

LoL!!! Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would say "you suck" but despite the fact you have done well, it did take some time and work. But in the end I will give you a you suck.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------