Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Bulb Lube

Light Bulb Lube

Is there anything I can put on the threads of light bulbs to keep them from getting stuck in the sockets?

Thanks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

There's something called dielectric grease sold at auto parts stores for keeping connections from corroding, including bulbs. Don't see why you couldn't use that?

I have used Vaseline for years on light bulb threads and have never had a problem. I also use it on battery terminal cables after they have been cleaned and installed, helps slow down the corrosion.
    David B

Vaseline... as long as it doesn't get gummy when it gets hot.... Hadn't thought of that.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have never had this problem. Maybe it is different in more humid climates.

You could call on the Huskers football team. They are excellent at removing lightbulbs--should only take ten of them. Afterall, the N stands for nowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    You could call on the Huskers football team. They are excellent at removing lightbulbs--should only take ten of them. Afterall, the N stands for nowledge.
    Where I went to school it only took one football player to change a light bulb. But he got three credit hours for it.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Wow. That was nearly a full topic deviation in only a few posts. Exciting stuff!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    You can spray the socket and lamp base with silicone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Never had the problem with brass sockets and bases, just aluminum. Would any of these lubes act as an insulator and make the contact worse? Never thought grease or such was a conductor.

Use the dielectric grease sold at AZ/Advance/OReillys. Its a silicone grease designed for that job. A $1.20 pack will last for a lot of years bulbs.

Or just break of the bulb, then use a potato to get it out

Light bulb lube? Spit on it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/ScktLube
    Or the dielectric grease.
    Thanks, Tony

Often, over-tightening on the initial install can cause problems later. Especially in temperate climates. Anyone have a rule-of-thumb in that regard?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers, Rory