Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSI mandrel saver problem

PSI mandrel saver problem

I tried the PSI mandrel saver over the weekend and had problems!! It somehow ground itself onto my mandrel and wouldn't come off. The center separated from the body and wouldn't bulge from the mandrel. I had to use force to get it off damaging my mandrel. Has anyone used this thing?

I've used mine a couple times with no problem. Maybe yours froze up and threaded itself onto the mandril?? Now I'll be afraid to use mine anymore...

Yes Paul, that is exactly what it did. It ground rings into the mandrel and froze up. There were two o rings that came out but only one slot inside. Maybe it was assembled wrong. I'm going to call PSI later today. Just glad I have a spare mandrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Yes Paul, that is exactly what it did. It ground rings into the mandrel and froze up. There were two o rings that came out but only one slot inside. Maybe it was assembled wrong. I'm going to call PSI later today. Just glad I have a spare mandrel!
    Please let us know what their response is. I have that item on my list of "to buy". Do you have their "maxi-mandrel" too??

I know that at IAP there was a thread about them and apparently there have been some problems with the initial ones. Bad bearings mostly but this is the first I have heard about somthing like this. Please let us know what PSI says I have really been wanting to get one they seem like such a good idea.

Jamie, I did call PSI and after several period on hold and a few return calls from PSI they agreed to refund my $14.95 and replace my damaged mandrel. I guess persistence pays off! BTW I won't use the mandrel saver again.

Robert mine did the same thing. Got my money back after a little arguing. Won't use one again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, it did take some arguing but they did come through. Now I feel better that it wasn't just my problem.

That's great... I just ordered one of these.

Hi all;
    I originally saw the PSI model and decided to make my own.
    Picture attached.
    I have a Oneway live Centre and turned the little attachment by locking the live centre with nails and tape. Then using the locked live centre to turn the attachment. It fits over my mandrel and puts pressure on the bushings but not on the mandrel.. Works great.

Peter F.

Peter, you have the right idea! I have an extra live center I can use to make one.

I made my own too.
    Had live center with removable center point, knocked out and turned a bolt down with taper (on my wood lathe) drilled hole through it. I made my shaft longer than PS's, so I can stay away from the live center better.
    If anybody wants to see it let me know and I will post some pictures. Or it can be seen on IAP.

mandrell saver

I also called PSI because mine came apart. They said that I would receive a brand new design which will be a one part instead of the two part mandrel, ready last part of june no charge. I just CAed mine back together and it has worked fine. waiting on the new design

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Carlton View Post
    I made my own too.
    Had live center with removable center point, knocked out and turned a bolt down with taper (on my wood lathe) drilled hole through it. I made my shaft longer than PS's, so I can stay away from the live center better.
    If anybody wants to see it let me know and I will post some pictures. Or it can be seen on IAP.
    So if I understand correctly from IAP you cut the head off a bolt, chucked the smooth section of the bolt into your lathe and turned it down with carbide tipped tools. Is that correct?

Also, I have the same live center that you used, but I cannot get the center out. It says that it is removable, is there a trick to it?

Nice to hear, Robert and Mac;
    You do not need a dedicated live centre, the little wood or metal fixture just screws onto the threaded (3/4 x 10TPI) on the Oneway live centre.
    Mac, I would like to see your bolt version... Thanks
    Peter F.