Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Apron

Best Apron

Who uses an Apron in the wood shop?

I know I should just change my cloths when i get home from work but with 2 small kids I get mugged when i walk in the front door. I'm able to do some work on weeknights but since I'm still wearing my business casual I have to be extra careful or else i'll snag something.

So, i'm looking into getting an Apron to keep in the shop. I know this is kinda trivial but who uses an apron and what do you think is the best one?

right now i'm leaning toward the Lee Valley Mk.II Canvas Apron.

I do, but just to keep my shirts from getting covered with dust, and so that I'm wearing something to wipe off wet irons when I pull them off the stones.

I use the cheapest thing I could find - a denim apron off of the big auction site for about $8 shipped. Not useful like the good heavy aprons with lots of pockets, but I don't like heavy stuff hanging on me and wouldn't wear those if they were full of tools.

Blog Entries
    I have the leather apron from TFWW and it is great! the straps are an x across the back so they don't pull on your neck, there could be an extra pocket but I find I can keep my 6" ruler and a pencil in the pockets and they are very handy. I am actually wearing it in my Avatar pic.
    http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...tegory_Code=TY

For the price and comfort I don't think you can beat it, not to mention TFWW is a great company IMO. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them recently.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I use the Lee Valley apron. I do like it because of the heavy gauge of the leather - it's not quite saddle leather, but it's considerably thicker than leather often found in casual men's shoes. It does add a margin of safety at the table saw and other machines that could kick back a piece of lumber. I won't protect against the crush injury one might receive from such an accident, but it will go a long way toward reducing the impalement factor.

I've got the Lee Valley leather apron too. Everyone should have one or one like it. I got mine to protect from flying debris from wire wheels. Those bits of stainless wire can go right through canvas pants and pelt your ****. Ouch. Aside from *that* safety aspect, there's also the errant chisel or marking knife accident. You may also pick up hand carving. Since I got one, I think it may be #2 after eye protection.

Forgot to mention--If I had to do it over again, I might get the one from Highland Woodworking because it's longer. Also, I'm not familiar with safety considerations for lathe work--presumably you want everything tidy and away from the spindle, and protect yourself as much as possible from lathe type accidents, so if you do that sort of work you'll want to take that into consideration.
    Last edited by Jonathan McCullough; 05-03-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

I've used several aprons but have settled on the Lee Valley apron. I'm a bit confused by the dialog, however, as mine is heavy cloth, not leather.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...413,45989&ap=1

I find leather aprons simply too heavy. This one is comfortable and doesn't get in the way.

Cheers --- Larry

I wasn't really looking for Leather because of the weight, and i really really don't like things hanging directly on the back of my neck so the Lee-Valley leather apron is out for me.

The one from TFWW is interesting and it does rest on the shoulders. i'm going to have to think about it. I don't really care about lower pockets as i think they would get in the way, whatever i have in there would dig into my thighs every time i lean against the workbench to get another tool off the shelves behind.

I don't need protection as much as I need something to keep my cloths and pants from getting dirty, and to keep my shirts from snagging on stuff.

Decisions, decisions...

+1 Lee Valley cloth apron. Not too heavy, but protective. The straps are very comfortable, too. I have a very large chest, and the apron is comfy and fits well.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 05-03-2010 at 5:17 PM.
    Paul

I use the one from Rockler. Cross straps and plenty of pockets.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10257

Another vote for the Lee Valley canvas apron. I have been wearing one for about nine months now, five days a week and it's holding up reasonably well. I snagged the edge binding on something and pulled a couple inches of it loose, but otherwise no problems. The pockets are very well designed and don't collect sawdust. They ARE very large, though, and do tend to collect an enormous amount of odds and ends before you know it.

Apron and a bonus

I got the Festool Apron, it came in a mini Systainer. Nice weight cotton.

I'm a big fan of the lite weight canvas multi pocket one made by McGuire -Nichols. Straps go over your shoulders so they don't bother your neck.

I gotta have pockets so I use the 14 pocket bib type. I carry a 10' tape, small machinist square, drafting pencil and small sharpener. In the little pockets in front I have my "precision" measuring sticks for small work. 4" long sticks of hardwood that are 1/8"x 1/2", 1/4"x 1/2" and 3/8" x 1/2". great for set up or measurements.

The front is also great for wiping your hands of glue if you get a bit sloopy.....

http://www.midwesttechnology.com/sea...nSubmit=Search

Cheers,

Kent

Blog Entries
    Not sure if it makes a difference Because I don't know if any makers post the weight of their aprons, but my TFWW apron weighs in at 1 lb 10 oz.

The reason I know that is because this afternoon I went out to the shop and noticed that I had my Fishing scale right next to my apron. I know the scale is relatively accurate because I weighted a package with it yesterday then when I brought it to the post office It was within a half oz.

Anyway the apron is quite comfortable and does not feel heavy when wearing it, but still feels well made and like it will yield a fair bit of protection.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I have the Veritas cloth apron, and recommend it. I have the older version, and the Mk II, with its cross back straps, looks like an improvement. The problem is that I think it will take a long time to wear out before I can justify buying the new model.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Olson View Post
    I wasn't really looking for Leather because of the weight, and i really really don't like things hanging directly on the back of my neck so the Lee-Valley leather apron is out for me.
    Mike, the LV canvas apron doesn't hang on your neck. Because of the criss-cross straps, it rests on your shoulders. It's one of the reasons I favor it.

Cheers --- Larry