Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did Popular Woodworking Magazine get so good?

When did Popular Woodworking Magazine get so good?

I just picked one up, hadn't read one for about 3 years. At first I thought it was the other black & white one.

I was amazed at the number of articles that actually interested me.

Second issue with the merged 'Pop WW'ing' and the black-n-white one (Woodworking). Both new issues have been stellar.
    joecrafted

Agreed. I was just telling my wife after perusing the last issue that PWW is what Fine Woodworking used to be...

I wish they'd add a reader's gallery, then I'd really have no reason to pick up the other rag.

You need to get out more! Both of the magazines from this publisher have been pounding the competition for several years. Even FWW magazine has had to retool somewhat to defend itself. Part of their success is that they really support the hand tool user and that group has returned the favor. Don't be surprised if you see some of the "also ran" ww magazines dropping off the map in coming months and years. With all of the litigation against power saw makers in the news, the advertising in magazines by the big tailed-tool makers might drop back some too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    ...The advertising in magazines by the big tailed-tool makers might drop back some too.
    Hope so, along with all of the super duper taper jigs and all of the whiz bang $45 plastic gadgets that you "have to have to help do accurate work".

Might just be able to get a few more people to subscribe to the "mark the line, work to the line, test fit, trim, install for a perfect fit" school of work.

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    I just picked one up, hadn't read one for about 3 years. At first I thought it was the other black & white one.

I was amazed at the number of articles that actually interested me.
    Ever since Chris Schwarz has been the editor - a few years now.

Jim S.

I thought I would hate the new mag, but I am 2 issues into it, and have actually read them cover to cover... Very good both issues. Hope this keeps up.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

my only big complaint with the new mag is they are down to 6 or 7 issues a year. My armchair knowledge of that business leads me to believe that this is advertising revenue driven, not content driven. I enjoy their website and blogs, but not nearly as much as I enjoy cracking a cold one and reading the new issue in a comfortable chair, and anymore it seems like it is a long wait....

Combine this with the fact that Wood, American Woodworker, etc. all pretty much suck(10 New tools you have to have, learn to make a coatrack, etc, etc.), and Fine Woodworking is going downhill fast, and a guy is really left with one decent magazine to wait for every month....or every two months as it were.

That is my also my biggest issue with a couple of these mags is that they're down to 6 issues a year. Especially PWW which has been my fav for a year or longer. There's just not enough content to justify the every other month cycle especially when factoring in all the pages wasted on ads. But this is way above my head and still look forward to ever issue of PWW. IMO it has been on top for quite awhile and FWW has been on the down hill slope for ages. Once in a great while there will be a decent FWW issue but for the most part I end up very disapointed.

I'll have to check it out

Popular Woodworking sounds good, I'll have to pick one up.
    I dug out some early 90's back issues of FWW. It's just not the same magazine these days. I also noticed a lot of the articles from those mags is recycled in the newer issues.
    My 2cents.
    PI

I really wish someone would come out with a hand tools only magazine. Articles by Adam Cherubini, Bob Rozaieski, etc. Not sure how big the readership would be, but I sure would subscribe!

Jamie Bacon

Woodwork Magazine was one of the best I had ever read. It really matched the quality of the early FWW issues. The magazine was sold in 2008 and then discontinued. I bought an issue at borders recently but I have read that the newly re-started magazine is on the way out again. It's too confusing to keep up with its status.

1+ about the re-cycling articles. I have Woodsmith mags with three different versions of the same "traditional" woodworker's bench with a wagon vise, each more crude than the previous one. The latest even uses round dogs.
    FWW & WWJ are long-gone, PWW will be replacing Wood, and Woodsmith/ShopNotes are hanging on until re-subscription time.

Tom

I get them all....I can't help myself even with as irritating some of the articles from woodworkers journal, wood and woodsmith can be, I still find the need to read. I have made projects and utilized tips from these magazines as much as I have from popular woodworking and fine woodworking.

Second Jeff's comment about Woodwork magazine. I really enjoyed the issue I found on a newstand a month or so ago. In fact, went so far as to pick up some of their back issues. Too bad that mag can't find a foot hold.