Thread: color fill on wood

color fill on wood

I engraved my first finished box the other day and want to color fill the engraving. I thought I had seen a post here about rub n buff and/or liquid leaf. Do these products work on wood? any better ones? Any other advice?

Rub 'n Buff works well if your wood has a sealed, smooth finish on it. I wouldn't try it on anything that has a grain texture. Works best on piano finished woods, and looks really sharp.

Any kind of liquid fill (acrylic paints also can look good) pretty much requires a clear sealer or they will wick into the grain.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I've used really thick fabric paint from Walmart. It comes in a squeezable bottle with a really fine nozzle. It does shrink quite a bit, so fill accordingly. No wicking trouble.

Stencil paint (for stencilling patterns onto walls etc.) is so stiff that it is nearly solid.
    Works well, plenty of colours to choose from and no wicking at all.

Thanks, all!

I use the acrylic stuff from Laserbits. They have a sealer that comes with it. You put the sealer on first then apply the color after the sealer has dried. You tend to have bleed out on Alder if you don't use the sealer first. They have metallics as well as other colors.

Here is a link
    http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?m...x&cPath=72_209

Powder Paint - cheap - easy - looks great: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=powder+paint

From a prior post I made: The natural wood oil will help to cure it, but I assist by "baking" it with the laser. Very low power - about 7-8% power & 100% speed. Any slower or higher power will laser the paint away. I then top it off - after cleanup with lacquer.

Also do a search on "Nancy's Method" - Nancy Laird
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 05-07-2010 at 9:47 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC